Braces ???

My Fear old just got braces about 4 weeks ago. she was very excited and happy to have them. she has finally gotten past the initial pain they were causing her. but we keep having an issue with one side of her wire poping out of the holder on the back tooth. the orthodontist has told me there is a video on you tube i can watch to show me how to make shure the wire is back in place. and when i put it back in its in right but every other day its back out again. Does any one have any tips for me? and what are some of the best ways you have found to tech your kid to properly take care of them?

1battymom84

Asked by 1battymom84 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Health

• My son's wire did that a few times. Actually, every kid I know that has had braces has had that issue. There isn't too much you can do about it, as long as you are making sure they aren't eating anything they shouldn't be, and are taking small bites. Once they switched the type of wire they used on my son (after about 6 months), they didn't pop out anymore.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I am trying to make sure that she isnt taking big bites and not eating any thing they said she couldnt have. This is my first time dealing with braces and I want to make sure that she is doing every thing they way she should but with a 5 year old some times i wonder if shes passing some things right by me. I have been criticized alot about her age and getting them. So it makes me worrie even more about if im doing every thing right. but that gives me hope thank you.
    1battymom84

Comment by 1battymom84 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My oldest is suppose to be getting braces soon......I remember from me that you needed to watch what you were eating and use you wax on the sharp parts.
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• All three of mine have braces and they are doing better with them now. Even with teenagers wathching what they eat is hard. Mostly they have popped their brackets. The wire can be tricky if it is too long it will poke at the back of the mouth which has happened to my oldest and he literally just used wire cutters and cut it off. We are back and forth at the orthodontist more than id like! Good luck!
    LeslieXXX

Answer by LeslieXXX at 12:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My kids don't have them (though I think my youngest will need them) and it'sbeen a while since I had them but make sure she brushes well and doesn't eat eat anything sticky. I do wonder though, why does a 5 year old have braces? That seems a bit young to me. Most 5 year olds stuff haven't lost any baby teeth. Who suggested the braces?
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Thank you to you all. I am doing my best at making sure she stays away from the sticky food or the food that they said she shouldnt have. so fare we are doing good with that but getting her to be comfortable with brushing the way she should is the hard part I always help her but she can still be a bit difficult when it comes to brushing. she is good at telling me when she needs wax put on them. i was told that she shouldnt have chips ither. and i like to give her fresh fruit but some of it i cant give her any more. any suggestions on substitutes?

1battymom84

Comment by 1battymom84 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• And to shell Our dentist sent us to the orthodontist to have them give an opinion on her teeth. you are right most 5 year olds dont have there adult teeth. but she she more than half of all of her adult teeth. she even has her 6 year mollers. witch they were surprised about how mature her mouth is. They had told me that normally they wouldnt even think of putting braces on a kid her age. but with how far along her mouth was in the growing stages that they didnt want to wait because they were afraid that it could cause more problems in the long run.
    1battymom84

Comment by 1battymom84 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2011