It took four years to potty train my son, now it is time to potty train my DD and I am wore out!

It took two full years to the month of continuous potty training to get my DS to urinate once on the potty. It took two additional years to get him to be fully potty trained. He only started urinating on his own on the potty at age 5, and finally finished potty training at age 6 :(

Okay, he has autism which is why the delays, I consider myself lucky that he is even potty trained.

My DD is 2 1/2, does NOT have autism :), however, I have little motivation to potty train her.

I am sure it won't take her several years to learn; I guess that I don't even know where to begin with a mentally healthy child.

Please help motivate me!

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 11:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it takes longer than three days to toilet train a healthy child, then the child is not ready! Wait, and you will both enjoy it more. Potty training can be a wonderful time of bonding between mom and child, or it can be so frustrating that you want to chuck the child out the window with the potty chair. Wait. Then, there are picture books and cartoons and DVDs to help you explain it to your child.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 7:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Show her the potty, explain the potty, get a potty, watch the video but don't ask her to try. Don't sit her down every hour... reward her when she goes on the potty but don't nag. Give her the tools but let her take the lead. Potty training can EASILY turn into a battle of wills. Autism or not. When she is 80-90% on her own give her some panties. If you get close to 4 with no luck you can try more encouragement but be careful not to fall into the 'battle of wills' trap.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Many kids don't potty train until around age 3, so maybe when you tried at age 2 he just plain wasn't ready? I'm sure it was extremely frustrating. Why not take off a couple months before starting with your daughter? See if she shows any interest in it on her own.

My daughter was potty trained at 2 1/2, but something happened (what, we're not sure) that caused blood and protein in her urine, also resulting in pain. No one has been able to say what it was, but it set her back and we had to start ALL Over again. She urinated very frequently (almost like an overactive bladder issue) so she wet her pants CONSTANTLY throughout each day, even 15 minutes after using the toilet. I finally got her daytime trained, and at age 5, she still wets the bed. It's been incredibly frustrating, so I can understand how tired you are.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Dear superclutz! Autism or not, girls are easier and quicker to potty train than boys. I've personally only potty trained a girl and didn't find it difficult, but a girlfriend of mine had no end of problems potty training her son (he wanted to stand from an early age apparently and then there was the problem of, ahem, things being in the wrong place).
    Sorry if tmi - just trying to keep your spirits up and assure u that you'll be fine .
    Stace
    stace101

Answer by stace101 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Don't do it. Wait until she is 3 and then just take the diapers away. The older you wait, the easier it is. My kids were closer to 3 1/2 and it took 3 days total.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Girls are easy to potty train, mine were 2 and 18 months and their was really nothing hard about getting them to use the potty.
    nataliemaddymom

Answer by nataliemaddymom at 1:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011