Are my toddlers the only kids that dont play with toys??

my twins are 21 months and lately I've noticed they don't really play with their toys.
they would rather jump on the couch, pull things off the table (and rip it up) and just get into anything that isnt an actual toy.
like they basically push their push toys around or ride their little trikes or want to read books and if theyre not doing those things theyre trying to climb up into areas they aren't allowed, and pulling things down.
i dont understand why they dont play with toys, this is a SERIOUS question. is it just their age is this NORMAL or is it because they have SO MANY toys they dont know what to do.

i worked at a daycare for a year, those toddlers generally played with toys, like as much as a toddler can "play" with anything.

what can I do to keep them entertained with real toys, rather than running around destroying my parents house??

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You probably have too many toys of one type, and not enough variety. There are 8 different "areas" of play. If you have a few toys in each area, then the toddlers are far more likely to play with them. The areas are: books, music, art, dramatic play, blocks, outdoor play, table play, and sensory play. Categorize your toys, and see which areas they "fit" into.Books are self-explanatory. Music play would include toy band instruments, also children's CDs. Art includes crayons, fingerpaints, scissors, glue. These "toys" should be kept out of reach of young children, and you allow them to play with them once or twice a day under supervision. Dramatic play includes dolls, kitchen sets, dishes, dress-ups, etc. Blocks - the best ones are large wooden unit blocks, the biggest set your budget allows. Your children should play outside, swings, trikes, slides, sandbox, at least two hours a day. Table toys are puzzles and games. cont:
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 7:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• let them use ther imagination .. there is more fun there thn toys ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 12:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I believe that toddlers like to play with toys that they don't see every day. ex) daycare, friends house etc... because they are into exploring and want to know what those toys do.

Toddlers like books because they are like to learn as well as use their imagination.

I have a toddler who seems like yours and I feel like I am finally gaining control. For the climbing I bought her an indoor slide for $26 at Walmart. We tell her she can climb on that and it has solved probably 80% of the climbing issues.

To keep her curiosity up with "new" toys, I give her cardboard boxes, let her play with magnets on our kitchen pans, make books together, use creativity to make "new" toys with objects we have around the house. Even putting dried beans or rice in a baloon b4 blowing it up is a fun way to make noise.

I pretty much stopped buying her new toys since she tires of them after she has figured them out (within hours)
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 12:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• We also have playlists on youtube of learning videos, they are endless. As long as toddlers are learning, and they are climbing, singing, dancing, they are happy.

Yesterday we watched a netflix video on bugs which she watched the whole way through. We then went outside to find some of those bugs we found in the video. She loved it.

The other day we made water tornado's using two 2L plastic bottles, water, and duct tape. I then put in a video on netflix about tornadoes and she was entertained for 90 minutes with her new toy and video. I followed up by taking her down to the tornado area of our basement and sprucing it up. She is now 2 1/2 years old and can talk about tornadoes

Bottom line, I don't think that your kids are strange. They are normal and want to LEARN!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 12:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I've noticed that the fewer toys we have, the more they are played with...and there are other benefits as well.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• They get board with the toys they have....take some away and put them in a closet and exchange the ones in the closet for the ones that are already out....they like NEW things...
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I agree - the fewer toys that are out, the more they play with them. I have a closet where I keep most of the toys, with plastic boxes to keep the pieces together. I rotate the toys out every couple of weeks so he always has something "new" to play with.

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• this is exactly what i thought! they have so many toys that they are impossible to organize so theyre pilled up and stuff so even if they want to get to them to play they can't. the thing is i live with my parents. my mom buys them toys at least four times a week, and its her house so I can't tell her no dont buy more toys, or anything.
    the hardest part is she expects me to keep everything cleaned up and i have been for the longest time and i've purchased drawers and bins and so much stuff to organized everything but i literally have no where to go with all of it. like, literally.
    i would love to have very few toys that they could appriciate and play with and know where they are all the time, but idk how to accomplish that since it's not my house :C
    UGH :/
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Sensory play is often called "messy play". It is a play activity unique to toddlers and preschoolers. Young children learn through their senses. A baby picks up a rattle and looks at it. She shakes it (hears it). She licks it (taste). She sniffs it (nothing). She touches it. Then she's learned all she can from that rattle, and she throws it away. We think she has a short attention span, but the truth is, she's brilliant and she just learned all she could from that rattle! We should worry if she continues to play with it hour after hour! Sensory play, then, is any play that encourages the child to use one or more of her senses. It is sand box play, water play, playing in pudding or mashed potatoes. Fill a toy splash pool with birdseed or rice and let them play in that. Gather pine cones and pine needles, let them explore that. Change the sensory table weekly. If all your toys are in the same category, boredom.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 7:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011