::sigh:: explain tampons to my 3 year old... lol.

She apparently decided to use my bathroom in my room a min ago. She came down stairs with a tampon and asked me what it was. I told her it was for Mommy's to use. She asked 'but what foooooor.' I told her it was just something special that mommies had to use int he bathroom sometimes and not to mess with them. Then she says to me 'ooooooh, you just sometimes have to take the white fuzzy things out?' lmao! I said 'um, sure- but mommies only- you leave them alone.' Ahhh. I hope this is the end of it. What would you have said?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think you did just fine. It's not like she would understand if you tried to explain anyway. lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would have said exactly what you said.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I have been lucky that my 3yr old has never asked about them..... I try to get her to leave the bathroom when I have to use them....

Just don't tell her they are for nose bleeds...or she may come out with them in her nose....lol
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• ..but i would think about moving them..since she obviously knows where they are taken out of..wouldn't want her to try them out.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Oh she meant the 'fuzzy out of the card board tube. She has never seen me use them! She had opened it. I should have specified!!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Mine have always known about periods, so I just tell them it is to "keep mommy clean" or to "keep the blood from getting on my clothes". Nothing to really be embarrassed about, especially with a daughter.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I usually go with, that is mommys and I'll explain when you are older. It works, they are 7 and 5 now and They tell my 2yo son the same things.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 1:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I have a 2 1/2 y/o DD and she has been watching me use the bathroom since she was born. She has seen me use tampons and pads and I have told her about them every single time I used them in front of her. (even as an infant) She can say tampon and pad, and can tell between them both.

She knows the word "period" and knows that that is what I have if I have blood. (apology if TMI)

She is not scared or worried, she knows it is a big girl thing. It is my ultimate hope that she will be fully educated and not ashamed of her female body as she grows older.

That being said, if I had never exposed my DD to menstruation at such an early age, and she asked me about tampons, I probably would have said the same things that you did. My DD learned though seeing and being told as it happened. Your chose a different route for your DD which is just fine.

Give yourself a pat on the back for just answering her!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 1:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I told my daughter about menstrual periods around that age, and explained it was to keep the menstrual blood from getting on your clothes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Back when I still used tampons, my (at the time) 3 year old said I was "putting a lollipop in my butt". No questions where asked though, she was just stating what she "saw", lol.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2011