When do you think parents should start potty training? I mean when you you think is to old without trying?

I ask because both my girls I tought before showing me any intrest I was just consistant with it. My first I started at 12 months but her birthday is in spring so with it being nice and her playing outside she didn't want to come in. Well with her being 12 months I didn't push it so we only done it if we were in the house r if it was raining and couldn't go outside. She was 18 months old when I fully started and she was trained by 19 months. My second I started at 13 months (she was keeping her diaper dry in the mornings). She was nearly trained at 16 months, but she got really sick with rotavirus and had diarehea for about 3 weeks so we had to stop for a while, by the time we started back up we had to start all over again so she was 21 months old. But I am pregnant with baby number 3 another girl well when it comes time I don't think I want to potty train until around age 2 or so because this will be my last baby :(. So when should I start by? I mean what if she starts showing signs before 2? Do I have to start potty training her then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think whenever you're ready to. If you already have a way of potty training your kids that seems to work pretty well I'd say stick with it just start whenever you are ready. My daughter I started around 14 months but she got sick a few times so we stopped and other things came up so it wasn't a constant thing until she was close to two and she broke herself of diapers on her second birthday. But I know some kids who were over 2 and still not anywhere near being close to potty trained, I've even seen a little boy who was 3 1/2 not trained, and when they did switch to underwear he had 3-4 accidents a day so I dont think 2 is unreasonable. But is she wants to I would consider starting earlier.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I just don't see how anyone would be ok with changing diapers for that long! lol My daughter is 2 1/2 and I can have a full conversation with her and I just cant imagine changing her all the time, but she became fully aware of when she pottied and kept coming and telling me pretty early so I decided she was more than ready.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It depends on the child. If your little one starts showing signs, go for it :) my oldest wasn't ready until she was almost 2 and a half, but once she started showing interest I immediatly went out and bought her a potty chair and let her pick out her panties. It didn't take long to potty train at all.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I started after 2 with my older 3 but didn't start really pushing it until 2 1/2. I regret pushing it that early with my girls. They were such a pain and the more you pushed the more they refused to try. They were both over 3 when they finally decided THEY were ready (one was 3 years, 2 months the other was 3 years, 8 months). My son was ready at 2 1/2 and was potty trained in a matter of months (the girls it was over a year, almost 2 years with the 2nd of trying).
    So we waited until our 3rd daughter was 2 1/2 to even introduce the potty. She was trained in 1 week.
    I'll probably wait until this last one (a boy) is 2 1/2 before I even start trying.
    3 is the average age for kids to be fully potty trained.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I wait for the signs that they are really ready and all 3 of my girls it is right before they turn 3.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• dd just pulled off her diaper at 2 and never put it back on wth? i guess i was lucky and no accidents
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I waited until after they turned 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• ya I know my nephew is going to be 3 next month and still has no intrest of the potty he has never even peed on the potty yet. And then my dh's cousin's dd was nearly 5 by the time the got her trained now I personally think 5 is to old, but.....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2011