My son is 14 months old and only says 1 word. I have questions on the word and why he says that

Ok so hes 14 months old, he is developmentally advanced for his age, well to me he is. i do have two older kids (girls)
So he used to say mama when he wanted me badly. Like i would block off the kitchen with one of the sofas when i had to clean the kitchen. He tried hard to squeeze through and when i was in there for like 10 mins or more cleaning he would cry and cry and call me mama. its not like he couldnt see me but i had to clean. im OCD when it comes to a clean kitchen. He doesnt say no other real words, he doesnt say Dadda or daddy. My husband would always say the word KUMBA to him. IDK why, but when hes around him he says my little kumba lol. So now the baby says Kumba, kumba over and over. He used to say Vacuum but more like Ba-coom.. Im just wondering why he can say Kumba, which is a hard word to say especially with a K. I never heard children start talking with the K sound. He babbles a lot, u cant understand a word he says. He gets frustrated and points and if u give him the wrong thing he throws a tantrum and cries. I dont think its because he wants his way, i just think he cant express him self and i dont know what he wants. he learned to crawl at 6 months walk at 10 months.

I guess his verbal skills are slower then his physical ones. But when should i be concerned? He can use a straw and a open cup just fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is not saying more in the next few months you may want to speak to a ped about a referral for a speech evaluation. Keep in mind a speech delay is not necessarily indicative of anything else. It just means he may or may not need a little help getting the words flowing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't worry. Especially if he is a laid back kind of guy. My little one is 2y and 2m old and babbles a lot. But he is also soft spoken and if you pay a lot of attention, there is whole sentences in there. he says a few words very clearly, but he communicates well. You know what he wants with out him talking, so he doesn't really bother.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 1:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Cant i, just teach him my self other then someone else? I have great insurance now but i wont be having any soon. My husband is getting out of the army. and hes gonna claim 100% unemployment while hes a full time student. I am a SAHM and will continue to be one. We wont have money well ENOUGH to pay for good insurance, food, bills etc when we go back home. We are moving in with my mom and grandparents rent free. Im going to have to teach my son if he does have any delays in speech. Other than that, he is super smart and learns quick on other things.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Yea it seems like my son babbles a lot and hes having a huge conversation with you just how he is saying it, his manner, tone etc. its cute and funny. we just go along with it and say oh yea really? is that how it happened oh my goodness LOL.. Im not really worried, i guess i just want to hear him say some real words.. Both my daughters learned how to talk late, they both have IEPS and where in speech therapy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Like I said. Don't worry about it. From what I have seen with my kids, talking is not something you should push unless it frustrates HIM. Let him enjoy watching his world. Slow talkers often make a mad dash on their own a little later and talk like a champ.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 1:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Cueballsmom- thanks :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Sometimes we just need to know that we don't have to sweat the small stuff. Have fun while he's quiet, my DD talks constantly! ;)
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 1:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• haha yea. my middle child is a jabber jaws. she never stops talking. it can get annoying
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Regarding the insurance thing...depending on what state you are in, there should be a kids heath program...check into that. Some states are better than others. My hubby and I were both AD military, and have been out for 2 yrs, so we've done this already--make sure that he gets advice on dealing with the VA, and is evaluated for a VA disability claim--if he even gets 10% disability, then he can get VA health care for him. Also, if he's a full time student, he's not eligible for unemployment. With the new GI Bill though (the Chapter 33, assuming he's done 3 years post-9/11) he will get a living allowance equivalent to E-5 BAH with dependents for the area of the school he attends. It might be worth your while as a family for you to get a job and work opposite of the time when he is in school--not only might you qualify for insurance, but the BAH isn't enough to live on.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• He is perfectly normal for speech!  My son didn't really talk much until he was three years old.  Boys generally develop speech slower than girls.  Child specialists used to think it's because little girls played house and talked to their babydolls while little boys played cars and went "vroom, vroom," but now children pretty much play with everything and girls are still developing faster than boys. 

His frustration is also perfectly normal, unfortunately.  Many moms are teaching their little boys and girls sign language, and having a lot of success at that.  He can learn the signs for simple objects that he wants, like "cup, down, up, hungry, thirtsy," and more.  You can teach him the word and the sign together, and there are many many books to help you, since most of us parents don't know sign either.  Another advantage to learning sign language, is it helps develop small motor control.

LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 7:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2011