Moms of boys, questions about potty training

Hi everyone. I have a 14 month old son, two girls. I dont know anything about boy potty training. Lately hes been removing his cloth diaper when dirty or peed. The cloth diaper is velcro sometimes or snaps and he manages to remove it if hes just in a diaper. So i have to put pants or shorts on him. he isnt talking yet at all but my question is, how do i know hes ready? I know some kids learn quicker then others. Im not going to push him but i personally dont know nothing about ques and or boy potty training. Since he isnt talking yet i dont know how to communicate him where the potty is, what it is for etc. Im pretty much guessing that i should wait until he talks but he isnt talking and i wish he would! How do you even start potty training a boy though? My son always hated wearing clothes lol. he doesnt like wearing diapers. he likes to be naked.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's showing signs of not liking the feeling of wearing his diaper once it's wet / dirty he may be ready! Also, my son didn't talk very much either for the longest time, I thought something was wrong with him! :) But.. they understand more than you think! I started using Pull ups! Make sure they're the correct fit and give em a try! As soon as you try one take him to the bathroom and have him face the potty. Tell him in whatever term you use, that's where to go when he needs to go... Then pull the training pants down and set him on the seat. Even if he doesn't go he will start to get the picture. He will have to be reminded a lot! The pull ups are what worked for my son, they're not cheap but it helps them get the idea. Good luck!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• thanks for the advice but i wont be buying disposable diapers. Thats why we use cloth, because its cheaper and it doesnt go to the trash. I can find fleece training pants probably.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Fourteen months is incredibly young! I doubt he is really ready to toilet train. Generally boys are around 3 yrs old before training. Signs that he is ready include waking up dry in the mornings and after naps, being able to verbalize that he has to go potty, and having the coordination to dress himself. At fourteen months, toddlers usually do not have these skills.

If the issue is just that he's undressing himself, then buy overalls, especially the kinds without snaps in the crotch. Overalls are wonderful. They are sturdy and durable and few children can get them off.

There are some great videos and picture books to help you with toilet training issues.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 6:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• thanks but i like said before he only takes his cloth diaper when hes just in a cloth diaper. Which is a velcro kind or snaps.. Its not when he undresses him, which he cant do but can take off a jacket with a zipper
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My son is the same age and does the same thing to his disposable diapers. My daughter never did this so maybe its a boy thing? Who knows..I am planning on introducing the potty around age 2 knowing he won't get it right away.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2011