How long do I have to wait to re-color my hair? adult content

I am a natural blonde, but after chemo, my hair came back a dull mouse brown. I asked the stylist to color my hair a warmer strawberry blonde, but it came out BRIGHT COPPER. It is awful. I am glad I have hats, I will be wearing them until this mess fades out in 6 to 8 weeks. Can I wait a week and then put a lighter color, or tone it down? I am NOT going back to that lady for hair color, she said she was nervous about coloring, but her manager was working with her, oh my, I just cry when I look in the mirror. I look like Lucille Ball!

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 1:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• A good stylist would be able to fix it without damaging it more :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 1:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• yep, I agree. I would get my money back and go elsewhere!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• you could get some highlights (to lighten the color) and some lowlights (to tone down the brightness). in fact, multitonal color looks better, than one all-over shade.
    do some research..look around and fine someone who's haircolor looks awesome. go to that colorist..don't just assume the salon is all good. get the name/rank/serial number of the colorist!!
    and when you get her/him, be sure to have a solid consultation, telling and explaining everything. takes pics with you of various shades, show what you like/don't like about them. consultation is the key!
    btw..next time someone says they aren't comfortable doing a service you're about to receive from them..don't let them..WALK OUT!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• *find someone..*
    dullscissors

• you are going to need a professional to help you fix it. hope you did not pay. what did mgr do???
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Post a pic! But seriously, idk how long you have to wait I think you can do it back to back?
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• So sorry to hear about the chemo! I pray for quick healing for you.

You don't need to wait. Any damage to the hair is already done, no matter how long you wait (unless you grow it all out and cut off the damaged hair) coloring it again is going to do the same amount of damage. If you are adamant on having it fixed, and it sounds like you do, do it as soon as you want. You can see if you can find a stylist that uses less harsh colorants so it will do less damage.

And just a little side note: I think bright copper sounds cool! You may not love it either because it's not your cup of tea or it's just not what you're used to, but I bet you anything others don't see it as looking nearly as bad as you do. :)

Good luck!

cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 12:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I usually wait 3 months to give my hair time to recondition.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have an appointment tomorrow for hair color correction. I have scanned a dozen magazines to show the salon owner the exact color I want. I can no longer look like a box of Bounce dryer sheets, a bottle of Tide liquid detergent or the Post Your Answer tab. Ugh. I have moved all of my appointments to AFTER this correction. I waited months to see a particular doctor, but I want this woman to take me seriously, and how can you do that when you look like Lucille Ball and Carrot Top mated in the laundry room?
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2011