Couple of ?s about staking up tomatoes.

I'm assuming the answer is no, but I want to ask and be sure. Can you stake up tomato plants too much? Meaning tie them up in too many places? Also, if I put two towers right next to each other and took some small branches from one tomato plant and staked it so that they are also attached to the second tower (so basically going between two towers), they WILL integrate part of themselves over to the other one right? I had originally put two plants in one tower (a while ago because hubby only picked up ONE tower and they were falling over) and I'm trying to get the top parts of one to start growing over towards the other tower.

make sense? lol

MamaPyratekk

Asked by MamaPyratekk at 11:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Home & Garden

• i had that problem last year! i did what ur thinking and it worked out really well. my grampa used to pinch his back to get bigger toms and keep it under control, but my summer totally got away from me and the plants grew 4 times more than it thought they would and were vineing all over the place with fruit like crazy! i wanted all that fruit, so i did what you want to do and we got over 250 good sized toms from one plant! on the coast! where no one thought you could get toms to go to maturity! well this year we put in a whole bunch more than last year and some heirlooms also, guess what..you just reminded me, i gotta stake those up! lol thanks! :)
    sherry729

Answer by sherry729 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2008