What are your thoughts on pain releif during labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Take the drugs.. You're not messing with the "experience." You're being smart!
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i think its all up to you some people can do it naturally and others cant it really depends on your pain tolerence. I was in labor with my son for 12hours i had some iv drugs at about 4cm i ended up having a c section so i had to have a epi but im pretty sure i was going to be asking for one anyway cuz i was in alot of pain and was getting ready to ask for one when things went south. So i say go into wanting to try it naturally but if you cant do feel any less of a women if you want pain relief.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I am all for it! I mean why not? Especially if you have lots of family and friends like me, I am gonna want to be awake and not tired and hurtin when they are all visiting. Plus, I see no reward in "being tough".
    Anonymous

• Personally I am not opting for the drugs. I've gone through this much of the pregnancy without them, and I'm gonna start now. I'm gonna try for a drug-free natural birth. I don't see anything wrong with the women that do get pain relief, but it's not for me. I freak out really bad on pain meds anyways.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i had the epidural and i tell u what best thing ever i got 2 relax and wait for my baby
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i wana add one more thing lol if your labor seems to be going fast id say stay away from the epi becuz it has been known to slow labor way down. My friend was flying through labor and at 8cm decided to get a epi since it was her last chance she had only been in labor at that point for 4hours she got her epi and it was 12hours later befor she was 10cm and ready to push so if its flying by quick id say tuff it out dont take the chance of slowing down labor at that point.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• While I was pregnant I thought that I was going to go comando and regect all of the pain meds offered because I wanted my daughter to come into this world clear headed and healthy. While into the 7-8th hour of hard labor I was losing my mind in pain. I was yelling at doctors nurses and cursing my daughters father. My labor coach was doing the best she could to keep me focused but, in the end I took the meds. Whew!! I wound up having a c-section anyway but, before we knew that was coming the relief of being pain free was relaxing and worth it for everyone involved including the baby. Just remember, when you stress your baby stresses.
    Laya-Lou

Answer by Laya-Lou at 5:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• No meds I'd say. I did it with my first and would do it again if I can agian with my second one. Talk to your doc about when you should go to the hospital. My water luckily broke at home.. so that made the labor process go by quickly. Have someone there with you who can support you during labor.. do research and see what you want to have and don't(in terms of drugs and all that - but don't be attached to it.. - my cuz wanted a natural birth but had a c section.. (but she loves her daughter never the less cuz she's healthy). Look at relaxation techniques.. I used lavander oil.. (smelling it helped me relax for a while). so see what works for you.. I wish you all the best with the preg.
    simran4god

Answer by simran4god at 5:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i say no meds.... women have been doing this for years without anything. i had done a lot of reading up on this and most dr. ((including my own)) said that the medication does have an effect on your baby.... to me it wasnt worth pumping drugs into my child. my sister had an epidural and my nephew ended up swallowing some of the fluid because she couldnt tell if she needed to push or not... no thank you... i wasnt tired after having my son... i was on pure adrenaline and i didnt have to wait to get up and shower or anything... plan on not taking anything with my pregnancies...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I didn't have anything with my first and I won't ever have any. I have heard of several people had horrible experiences with epidurals. Plus I don't want my child entering the world filled with drugs. I worked my entire pregnancy to give them a healthy start, I wouldn't want to ruin it in the last 12 hours or so. There are so many coping methods to avoid drugs. Women have been giving birth for centuries. Suddenly in the last 50 years we aren't strong enough to do it without drugs and "help." I like to think I am stronger than that!
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2008