Lying - What to do

My 13yr old daughter is constantly lying.  It is becoming a problem when she is lying about what is happening at her fathers house. She has been telling me things and when dealing with the court I can only tell them what she has been telling me. Come to find out it isn't always the truth and now I feel dumb.

I have sat down and talked with her and told her the consequences, but she just doesn't get it....ugg

Have tried taking away cell phone and other priviledges, but she doesn't care

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• lying is NOT normal for a teen. If they know better then they lie less or dont lie at all. start taking things away from her and see if it helps.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The question is WHY is she lying... does she feel she can come to you guys with things without getting in trouble?
    is she in therapy at all?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• THERAPY!! Get her into a therapist that deals with teens and lying and see if you can get to the underlying issues at hand.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• she is probably pissed off that her parents aren't together anymore. that would be my take but maybe seeing a therapist for her to talk it out with someone that is not related to her.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• taking her cell phone and other privlages that she doesnt really care about wont really make her see anything till you really take away what means most to her. and well everytime she tells you something about what "might" be happening at her fathers home check up on it and really give her a scare(with the consicquenses) so she wont do it again show her that what you tell her will happen is going to happen so she will see that lying isnt right and she will come to understand and maybe it might be she is having problems still about the seperation but just talking to her about why things had to be that way might clearify things for her.
    perezkiara

Answer by perezkiara at 11:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2011