Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have some how lost my son's birth certificate and social security card. What do I do to get new ones?

When my son's Birth Certificate and Social Security Card arrived at my house, I was so busy with everything and nothing was organized. I put his Social Card and Certificate some where so I wouldnt lose it, I have looked everywhere, and I just cant seem to remember where I put it...

How do I get New Ones??

Answer Question

Asked by BabyConnor7258 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • lol i did that to. For a birth cirtifaicate you can order a new one online or over the phone. i cant remember the website but just google in birth certificates it will come up you order them from your state capital. As for his SSN you just have to call the SSN and report it lost and they will send you a new one. you may have to go in to prove you are the mother.

    Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • You will have to apply for a replacement SS card. You will be required to go in. Check for the necessary documents you'll need to take with you. From what I remember, his birth certificate will be required before they let you get a new card.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • You will have to get the birth certificate ordered first. It must be a certified copy for SSA. Then take the BC in to your local SSA office and report the first one lost.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • go to the town hall to get a copy of his birth certificate. You have to go in the town he was born in unless your state has an integrated program.. I would call the town hall first.If you don't live near where you LO was born, you can apply for it online but I think you have to send in identification to prove who you are they don't let just anyone get your kids birth cert. After you get the birth certificate you can take it to your loal SS office and apply for a new copy of his SS card. Good Luck!

    Answer by kristal2146 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • To get a SS card, they don't accept a BC as ID for the child. They want a recent shot record or dr report of some kind. To prove the child is still alive. You will also need one or two forms of ID to prove your his mother. To get a BC go to the health dept in the county where he was born and get a copy of the BC, you'll need ID for that too.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2008


    On page 3 it says they will not accept a BC for idenity

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • You state's Vital statistics for copy of bc, for info on obtaining a new ss card, don't feel too badly, I've done it too!

    Answer by hibicent at 8:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • You get a birth certificate at your city or county hall. Call and ask which office you need to talk to. The S.S. card is a little more difficult. You will need to get the birth certificate first. You will have to go to the Social Security Administration website and download the form for a lost card. Then you need to go to the S.S. office with the birth certificate and turn everything in. I don't know how much proof they need for an infant. For an adult you need several documents to prove who you are.

    Answer by Marwill at 9:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.