Did you eat deli meat while pregnant? Were you fine?

my dr said you aren't supose to eat hotdogs or any processed lunch meats while pregnant because there is something that you can get I forget what it is called, but it can be bad for the baby. We litterly have nothing to eat until we go grocery shopping here in a bit and I was starving so I made me a ham sandwhich it was deli and I put on colby cheese. Is that fine. Did you eat it while pregnant? It was I think smoked deli ham or something like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's ok if you warm it up to kill the bacteria. I would eat turkey, but I would always nuke it for 30 seconds first.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 2:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The concern is listeria, which is rare but can happen (there was actually a Listeria outbreak in our province of Ontario a couple years back- my cousin was infected, recovered, and made a killing in a class action lawsuit.) The best thing to do for luncheon meat is to heat it up before eating- this will kill any bacteria present. I didn't eat luncheon meat when I was pregnant because I'm a vegetarian, but I did eat feta cheese and other things that are considered a listeria risk because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to, and I was fine.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• nope I didn't eat deli meats at all. even though its not common to get sick from it.. I felt it was better to be safe than sorry. I would heat it up in the microwave before eating it just to make sure.. the illness you can get from it can spread to your baby and kill the baby. just be careful..even if 1 million people did it without a problem doesn't mean it can't happen, good luck ! and congrats!!
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My dr never told me that, and I haven't ever heard of that from anyone else. I ate it with both my kids and was fine. The main thing I heard was don't change cat litter and avoid alot of caffiene. Idk I'd look it up and see if there is alot about it or not. But I ate it without a problem. So I wouldn't worry too much but if you're worried I'd look it up to get more than just your drs opinion on it.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The worry is listeria. I would have to say that is not something that I worry about and eat lunch meat probably about every 3 days or so but I think putting it in the microwave is gross I would rather not eat it. Personally I would not worry about it but I know plenty avoid it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I was advised to heat it first also. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Oh and for the other part of your question. I have eaten it that often through 5 pregnancies without any issues.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I heard that somewhere but i eat lunch meat and hot dogs lol
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• You can eat it, it's just advised that you heat it first to kill the bacteria that may be present. As long as it's stored properly and whatnot, it's really not a problem, it's just that you never know what may have happened during transport and at the store. I'm not a big lunch meat eater anyway; the only time I usually eat it is if we go to Subway or somewhere similar, and I'd just have them toast it while I was pregnant. Grilled ham and cheese! :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• yes! i loved a good chili dog!!!!! or a subway sandwich yumm!!!! go for it! we were fine!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2011