Is it normal for my son to do this?

My son is three and a half months old. He first tooth arrived about 2 weeks ago, and his second one is already on its way out! He sits up, and he can pick up his toys and bring them to his mouth with no problem, he also says mama all of the time... I always thought he was not supposed to be doing all this until at least a couple months later.

BabyConnor7258

Asked by BabyConnor7258 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's on track with lots of other kids.
    Anonymous

• Milestone ages are approximates. When a chaild does something early it isn't a big deal generally. Only whern they are delayed do Drs and such get concerned. My oldest cut his first tooth at 6 weeks. From the time he was 4 months until he was 24 months he had as many teeth in his mouth as he was months old. He began losing them at 4. My Mom was freaking. Then my youngest didn't cut his first tooth until he was 9 months old. I went to the Dr all freaked out. He said and I quote "Kay...this child is the normal one quit comparing your kids to each other or to friends kids" It was great advice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• This is normal. Sounds like you are doing a great job with him. My son is 18 months today and he does something exciting daily. Enjoy
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 5:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• GrnEyedGrandma is right. The milestone charts are to help you spot potential problems and to see what is coming up next.
    For example:
    If your child isn't crawling when 90% of his age mates were already doing so several months before, then there might be a problem. A trip to the doctor to reasure yourself or to find the problem might be in order.
    If the kids just a few months older than your child's current age can draw a line (wobbly but still a line), then maybe you should consider getting some crayons. He won't learn how if he doesn't get the chance.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2008