Trying to figure out what I should charge for childcare.

Daycares in my area charge an average of $42/day.
I've been approached my a family in my neighbourhood to watch their girls. They would need me monday to friday from 8:30 am till their bus comes at 9am. Also everyother monday and every wednesday full day. Their dad is home by 3, so it's only6.5 hrs a day.
Can you give me ideas on hourly rates or an overall rate. I used to charge $30/day, but what would I charge for the mornings, if I charge anything at all?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• 10 dollars a morning ... ten an hour the full days
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 3:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I am a provider and get $25 for a full day. Can you tell me where you are so I can relocate? lol I don't know what to advise being that our rates are so different. Maybe you can find a website with averages for your area? Do you have any friends that hire sitters that you could ask?
    Anonymous

• go to care.com and look at the ads both from people providing care and people looking for providers. You can look at the ads for free and see what people charge. Search by zipcode. Personally I would charge something like $5 for the 30 minutes you watch them in the morning so that's $25 for the 5 days, but the full days are different and that's what you need to figure out. Be fair to yourself and them. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 4:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• care.com or sittercity.com have tools that you can put in your zip code, age of the child and get an average of what people in the area are charging.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Don't forget to factor in your costs: utilities, food, license, CPR class, liability, insurance

Answer by rkoloms at 12:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2011