Do you think "oppositional defiant disorder" really exists?

Or do you think parents just don't discipline their kids anymore?

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I can only go by the person I personally know who have been labeled with this. My daughter's boyfriend (who is also my tutoring student) was diagnosed with this when he was in 3rd grade. The same year his mom threw out his third step dad and he was forced to live with a woman who hated him for being born a boy (her daughters are not treated the same way). I don't think there is anything wrong with this kid other than he was raised by a horrible mom and it was easier for her to stick a label on him than to work with him and treat him like a human being. Sure, he doesn't like being told what to do (but he doesn't mind at all being ASKED to do something) and he's sensitive about what people think of him (but he's been judged his whole life) and he has a hard time dealing with anger - but he was raised in a home where if you are angry you yell and throw things. Is it ODD or bad parenting? Maybe it's both, I don't know.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• if your kid had it you would know it is real
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• What letstalk said.
    My oldest daughter most likely has it. I have 5 kids. 3 (the youngest is only a baby) are very well behaved, listen and do as their told/asked. The oldest acts very differently and they've all been raised exactly the same. She's turning 11 and throws tantrums like a 2yo, is violent towards her siblings, will do anything the opposite of what she is told and when she gets in trouble she blames everyone but herself. In her head she is NEVER at fault for her actions, she thinks everyone else is to blame because we "make" her misbehave by not letting her do whatever she wants. At school her defiance has always been more passive-aggressive like refusing to do homework/schoolwork, not participating in stuff, ignoring the teacher (but saying she didn't remember/hear her/him).
    My friend works with teens with behavior problems and they are very real just before they were labeled as "trouble makers" and forgotten
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It's absolutely real.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It is most definitely real. Anyone who thinks it isn't should live with a family with an ODD child and watch the parents. They'd change their minds quickly!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Wow! o.k. ladies,here r the facts this odd was dreamed up by a shrink! I know that for a fact and also she said that there is no such thing as normal kids anymore!! Personally,in my opinion,she is a licensed drug pusher!!!!!
    Anonymous

• most of the kids I know who have it came out of the foster care system its hard to be parent less for so long and then at the age of eight have to fit into a family.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Pretty sure my children are all raised the same and ddisciplined and my 8 year old has it....hmmmm people are so rediculous until its thier own child that needs help. Odd was around, just not diagnosed. Those kids got in trouble or locked up. Before you try to make other mothers feel worthless when they already feel like there's nothing to do to help, pick up a book.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Lol yes I choose for my 8 year old to torment his brothers and get disciplined constantly. But the other two have never acted the same way. Please tell me how to fix my child!! Just because you haven't dealt with it doesnt mean it doesn't exsist.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• @attap5- are you suggesting that heart disease, breast cancer, ADHD, hypertension, etc, also aren't really real because they weren't around last generation?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2011