Why do you believe society is a lot worse then it was 100 years ago?

My husband believes its because religion is no longer allowed in schools and people arent force to go to church. Yeah.... About to tell him where to stick if he thinks people being forced to attend church

I said I think technology and population increase.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's not - I think people believe it is because you don't hide incest, rape, spousal abuse and addiction behind closed doors anymore. You don't ship your teenage daughter off to another state when she gets pregnant and force her to give up her child, or tell everyone you adopted a dead relative's child when she comes home and make her child call her "aunt". We don't turn away when someone is beaten or fired for having the wrong color of skin or the wrong religion. And when a little girl goes missing, instead of hearing about it for 2 minutes a day on the news for a few days, and reading a week's worth or news articles, we hear about it 20 minutes out of every hour, 7 days a week, for 3 years.

No wonder people think it's worse - religion can't hide the truth behind closed doors and belt-wielding husbands anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I agree with your husband, plus the fact that women are no longer women and men are no longer men. The family unit has become skewed, morals have taken a nose dive. We think our children are children and we should take an easy hand with them, unless of course it comes to having sex, then we think they should be grown ups and go ahead and have sex. Material things have become far more important than sitting down and eating together, having a parent around when the child needs them and discipline has gone into the toilet. Respect for ourselves and others have dropped to nothing with the culture of porn and sex with anyone because it feels good.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i don't think it is. one hundred years ago, many people could not vote, there was child labor, segregated schools, and tons of other things wrong. we just have different problems now than they did back then. And now everything is magnified. if something bad happens anywhere, it is all over the news. there was teen prgnancy, rape, porn, hate crimes back then, but you didn't hear about it non-stop everyday.

happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 4:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• In my family and the friends we have known people are even more aware and educated and responsible and moral than 100 years ago.
    It all comes down to the family and your values and how you raise your children. And there does not have to be any specifc religious influence. It s just knowing right from wrong and setting a good example.
    The people who are in trouble now are not any worse than the ones a 100 years ago...they are all just victims of the wrong upbringing and lack of education and povertty.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't religion is a big part of it, because those who are religious, still go to church. We have become a very materialistic society. We are always trying to make more money to buy more stuff, that don't bring peace and happiness to us. To me it's important to be present in my dd's life everyday, so I sacrifice and don't work. In this day and age, we have to make every effort to put family first, and spend quality time together.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 4:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think it's because we have become a society that doesn't foce people to take responsibility for thier actions anymore.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It is not worse, it is just different . I expect that 100 years ago , some people were saying the same thing .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think its not any worse its just speeding at you at the speed of the internet
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Moral reletavism is an aspect that makes us worse now.

Btw, I love church and prayer, but I'm not interested in being "forced" to go...I like choosing to thank you very much.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 4:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Depends on what aspect of society you think is worse. Some things have greatly improved, some have severely gone downhill. Many many things are to blame for this.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2011