If I was to wet my dogs really good (soaked) would this keep them cool in this heat they stay outside?

Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Pets

• If you are keeping them outside and live in an area without a water ban I would keep a sprinkler going so that they can have access to it. Also make sure they have a dog house to lay in (or even a small tent) & plenty of FRESH water in a shady place OR keep a bucket by an outdoor faucet or a hose in the bucket and keep the water running so that the water stays fresh and cool.
    Anonymous

• wetting dogs makes them sweat more
    proud-mummy

Answer by proud-mummy at 4:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Soaking them does help! Dogs CAN'T sweat (except through their feet pads), which is why they pant so heavily when hot. It's also why they are prone to heat stoke! Like the 1st poster said, plenty of water and shade too. If its a long hair dog, shaving them will help too! I've already seen a dog die of heat stroke this year, so sad!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 4:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would call a local Vet & ask but how about buying them a plastic kiddie pool & keep it filled with fresh water so they can climb in & out whenever they want to. Also make sure they have a lot of shade to stay in & fresh water to drink.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• give them plenty of water and keep them in the shade... having a sprinkler near by would be good! :)
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 7:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I am going to buy mine a kiddie pool cause he LOVES THE WATER he plays with water while spraying him down. He bites at the water. I also wet the ground they r using in the pen.
    Shepherdtxmom

Answer by Shepherdtxmom at 7:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I have a lot of critters outside (bunnies, goats, chickens, donkey, geese, ducks, pigs, along with several dogs) and do much the same for all of them. Shade helps. They all get 'ice cubes' in their water or to snuggle with. I freeze water in two cup containers and drop the large cubes in the water buckets/tubs, freeze water in two liter soda bottles for the buns and goats to lay on, as well as bricks. I wet the ground around them several times during the day (but use a sprinkler if I'll be gone). The dogs have kiddie pools that get refilled with cold water to splash/lay in. I have an adjustable hose nozzle and mist the chickens. The ducks and geese have two ponds, but I run cold water in for them each day. We're in SC ... triple digits this week ... ugh! Lol, I don't mind the extra water works ... I garden in a wet t-shirt myself!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• tnunley...I used to think that dogs never sweat UNTIL we became the owners of a dog who DOES INDEED sweat. It's not common but her vet says, it does happen.
    Anonymous

• Try getting a kiddy pool and leaving it full of water for them to get into, but make sure you keep it in the shade, so it won't get hot. My dogs used to run into the woods to get to the lake that's about a half a mile from my house. I didn't want them going that far so I started filling my daughter's pool up for them. I take them to the lake when I'm able too and let them swim but that way they can cool off in the water. Especially my poor collie, who has such thick fur. She gets hot easily.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• We all know how bad a wet dog can stink, lol, but leaving them outdoors wet can cause serious problems. If you do, make sure you give them a very thorough bath afterward. Flies like to lay eggs on nice, stinky doggies, and eggs can hatch fairly quicky. The maggots can actually bore into the dog's skin and have a feast on their flesh while exposing them to countless diseases. The maggots can crawl into the intestinal tract and actually eat the dog from the inside out. A friend of mine went through this with their rabbit. The poor thing had to be put down, but it was in horrible pain before they even knew anything was wrong. If you have small dogs, you can fill soda bottles with water and freeze them, them let the doggies cuddle the frozen bottles. They won't get AS wet, but will have a way to cool off.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2011