Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I want to change my daughter's last name but I have no address for her father to serve him papers.

He moved out of the country and I have no clue where he is. All I know is the country he's in. What would they do in this case?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • When i had it done the lawyer ran it in our local newspaper 3 times. Ask an attorney,


    Answer by anichols1 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • Call an attorney that specializes in family matters.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • The attorney will know exactly what the laws are in your state. Most of the time if the father can't be reached, it is considered abandonment and his rights are revoked. If he has no rights then you become the sole custodian and can change the name.

    Answer by hill_star03 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • check with vital records here in michigan only the mother can do this

    Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.