I don't want to let my kids down...

Okay we have been saving for weeks to take the kids to the beach for a week.Well now we have a issue my motor in my car is gone and it will cost around $2,000 to fix it.I don't really need my car now it just needs to be fixed before school starts back in Aug. So What would you do take the kids on vacation or fix your car?

We still have my DHs car to use...

jdwilson864

Asked by jdwilson864 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Fix my car! Kids have to be let down sometimes. Its a part of life.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• fix the car and plan little 'staycation' visit a zoo or aquarium or something that can be done in a fun day trip. They may be a little disappointed but they will still have fun.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Well if you say you dont need it right now. maybe you can save up money for the car cause you already saved that for the beach why not just use it the way you already planned. Cause you can always find other ways around right?
    sanzertu

Answer by sanzertu at 5:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would fix the car but I would try to save up again for another vacation it has happened and my sons understood maybe they willl be disappointed but tell them its postponed for awhile.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• how are you going to get there without your car?
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would take the kids on the vacation. If you don't need the car until August focus on earning the money to fix it when you get home.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would arrange for a less expensive vacation that they would still be excited about, then keep most of the money for the car.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i would do the vacation, especially since you said you don't really need it til school and you have access to another car. i only recently got my own wheels after 5 years of not having one with 3 kids and two dogs all under the age of 5. while it's really nice to have, it's also really nice to have a vacation. we haven't been able to take one in years and years.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 5:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Why a whole week? I would cut the vacation in half, be more cautious with spending while there, and get the car fixed before August.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I agree with Ginger..........modify the vacation so you can still go but for a shorter length of time. You can do local day trips to fun places too. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011