Best way to talk to my dh about down grading the cell phones and cable?

he got one of those smart phones and it raised our cell bill to 200 a month. i didnt want a contract in the first place, i was happy with my prepaid cell and 2 of those combined was less than 100 a month. he whined and moaned to get the touch screen phone which was free when we (I) did the contract.(all the bills are in my name) we had the phones less than 6 months and he had to get a smart phone. i seen nothing wrong with the touch screen phones...i still have mine cause i have no use for anything fancy. ijust need it to call my mom and siblings, and its suffient for that. i tried talking to my dh about going down to the bare mimimum on the phones since we could use the home phone to call ppl. our home phone and internet is all one bill, and its cheaper to have both than internet by itself. we have wind stream so its unlimited local and long distance. and with cable i dont see the need to have over 200 channels when most are PPV, sports, or shopping crap. we would do fine with the $30 month plan which is extended basic, and the kids' cartoon channels are on that, which is all really watch anyways. as far as movies go id rather red box or just buy the movie, it would be hella lot cheaper, besides there seems never to be anything worth while on the movie channels and we end up redboxing or going to the library anyways. i want to buy a house(the housing market in my area has dropped emencly since all the factory closings so we now can get a house worth 90k for 59k. there is no way can save any money for anything if we dont down size our bills, if nothing else instead of buying i would like to get into a house with cheaper rent. i live in 1800 sq ft 3 bed 2 bath, 2 story town house with attached garage. we pay 600 a month, and in my area thats a LOT since some 4 bedroom house run 450 a month and a 3 bdrm 350...
he tells me its his money since he is the only one working and he can do whatever he wants with it, but he isnt looking at the bigger picture we spend over 2500 a month on bills and groc & and misc needed items, like cleaning stuff ect. there is no reason to spend that much every month. if he would let me downsize or cut some exspenses i could save us round about 500 a month, but he will not listen. any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• Tell him you the amount of money he makes wouldn't go as far if he had to pay daycare instead of you taking care of the kids. It's not HIS money, it's for both of you. As a SAHM, you do more than enough work to make up for your part of the income!

Answer by missanc at 5:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If you have already said these things to him then you might just be beating your head against a brick wall. I would sit down and write on paper how much you could save by going in different directions. Perhaps if he say it quantified it would help to put it in perspective.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Good lord its cheap to live in your area! Well the bills are in your name so technically you could be an ass about it. "Yes honey, you pay the bills but they are in my name." And it isn't his money, it's both of your money.gl, I tried talking to my husband about cable and it didn't fly. However, its in my name and we split the bills.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The biggest problem I see is the idea of my money and your money....that doesn't fly in a marriage because you're business partners in life - one finacial entetiy.

Although I do recomend a pre-budgeted amount of fun money for both of you to use without the other's approval on whatever you want....everything else needs the nod of both husband and wife.

Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 5:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• emmyandlisa...while it seems cheap in my area but compared to the average income its not, the highest paid job in my area 12.75 an hour and thats what the RNs get. im a certified pharm tech and if/when i start working my starting pay would be 8 and max pay would be 10... take out taxes there isnt much left. my dh only gets 11.75 an hour as a med aide at the state institution,(he takes care of violent sex offenders, which is why that job pays so well) as it is he has to work 16 days off one then work 16...we are barely keeping a float. and daycare here is outrageous, to put my 3 kids in daycare right now it would be 1800 a month, more than what most jobs would pay. you almost hardly see married couples with kids have both parents working, most families here is a one income house hold cause of the cost of daycare. so if i start working we would actually spend more than we are cause of daycare
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• tell him the savings
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2011