Anyone clean houses for work? I need need advice....

Trying to figure out what to charge..hourly or by the job. And do you supply the cleaning stuff or do your clients usually?

Do you report your income to the IRS? I am unsure how to go about keeping records for the money I earn.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Keep a simple notebook on what clients you have, what they pay, and any expenses you have. I was self employed for many years and did it that way. Of course you can keep it on the computer too. Check the 1040 booklet for federal tax info and your state's tax booklet for state tax info. What to do is explained in detail. You would be filing as a self employed individual. . You simply use your social security number ....that is your tax ID number. You are a self employed individual not a business. You might look at care.com and see what people charge in your area. You can look at ads for people looking for a housekeeper and also those looking for work. Search by zipcode GL!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My friend has a buisness. She says to charge by the hour and use your own supplies. And yes, report your income.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would talk to an accountant about the best way to track for income and expenses. Something like Quick Books would probably work. You need to keep clear records and report everything to the IRS. You might need to set up a business, and if you do that you have to get a tax ID number, set up an account with federal, state, and local government. You might have to get a sales tax licence. I don't know what rules are where you live, just where I live.

happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 5:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• charge by the hour you work at the house you are cleaning. Keep track of it by having it all written down, like a regular schedule. Of course you have to report your income to the IRS! If you dont, even years later you can get in big trouble for owning back taxes and you dont want that happening. So do it the right way. Usually wou woul use you own cleaning supplies unless its requested by the customer to use theirs/specialties.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Hi Texasgurl33 -

I clean homes and offices for a living. I choose to work alone and I make a very good income doing so. I don't care to charge by the hour because in my opinion you will not make enough or the customers could end up paying much more than they really expect to which is unfair. I charge by the job (or per house). I first meet with the customers, get a tour of their home, ask them what they expect with every cleaning, and towards the end of this discussion I will quote a price. If they make it clear they are not pleased with that price I make another offer. Usually they accept the first offer I make but there are times I need to go lower, which is still fair. This technique may or may not work for you however. Please understand that I offered a much lower yet reasonable price to begin my small business and to get those first customers. F

SarahFarah

Answer by SarahFarah at 5:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I cleaned houses for a short while.... for an average 3 bedroom, with no kids, I charged $25 to vacuum, dust, sweep, mop, and clean the bathrooms. I used her supplies including the vacuum, mop and cleaning supplies. If you were to use your own, I would charge more than that, and that was 15 yrs ago too. I know some people makes anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on the home.
    Just as an FYI if you choose to provide your own supplies I can help you purchase the best at wholesale cost. Message me if you want more information about that.
    Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011