Day Care in a Shopping Mall?

I'm thinking about trying to open a drop-in childcare center in or near a shopping mall, so parents can relax and enjoy their shopping experience without cranky children in tow. I was wondering, how many of you think this is a good idea? Would you use a drop-in child care center when you go shopping? What do you think is a fair price? (The going rate in my area is $5.00 an hour.) Our shopping mall is also very near the theater - so I might be able to offer childcare during the early evening show, but the Mall closes before the 9:00 show would get over. Do you think this drop-in center would need to operate seven days a week, or maybe take Mondays off? Any discussion would be VERY WELCOME.

As a side note, I have a degree in Early Childhood Education, and thirty-plus years of experience working with young children. What I lack, is a business background.

Thanks!

Lorelei

LoreleiSieja

Asked by LoreleiSieja at 5:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We actually have a drop in day care in our mall. And you can even register so you can have a day care while you work if its in the mall. We dropped my daughter off there once so we could xmas shop for her (we didnt have anyone who could watch her) and she absolutely loved it and didnt want to leave. I think its a great idea. I mean especially for parents like us who are new to area and cant get a sitter, it helps when we have to shop for her for xmas and birthdays or if we just want to spend some time without her so we can eat dinner and feel like its kind of a date lol.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I worked at a place like this actually. That was 10 years ago and the place is still up and running. :) We didn't just do the drop in care though, there was a regular preschool class, full time little ones and after school care. That's where the majority of the children came from. The drop in option for shoppers was popular, but not enough to keep the place going. The way that worked was that a parent could drop a registered child off for two hours. At the end of the two hours they had to return showing receipts that they had spent so much in the mall. I can't remember the amount or the way that the reimbursement worked with the mall businesses, sorry!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• that would be a great idea. i would use it for sure! i cant remeber how many times i have wanted to go shopping or to the movies with out my ds but cant due to no babysitter.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• There is a drop in childcare inside of Fred Meyer grocery stores where I used to live (Washington). It was wonderful and my son liked it. I've never seen one at a mall, but I'd definitely use it if it were there.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Good idea, but I would not use it. There are too many creepy people (to my mind) in a mall to make me feel comfortable with that idea. I have a hard enough time dropping my kids off at the Small Land in IKEA.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I understand about the creepiness factor. The childcare drop-in site would have to be very, very safe. I thought about taking an instant photograph of parent and child together, and making two copies. Only the person in the picture could pick up the child, and NO ONE other than the teacher and children is allowed INSIDE, although parents would be able to see inside, to see their child playing happily and not being abused. Just a few thoughts I've had.
    LoreleiSieja

Comment by LoreleiSieja (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2011