Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get extra help/assistance anywhere????

I am a single mom, my son is three and a half months old. Im also only 17 years old. My sons father walked out on me and his son when his son was two months old. I had a full time job until my boss made me stay home because I was so close to my due date. I finally was able to go back to work two and a half months later, but my work replaced me when I was gone, so now they can only let me work on weekends. I have applied at many places to get a second job, but Im not having any luck... I need another job or some way to make some more money. I am still attending high school and graduate next month. I was told that there are many places that can help me out with defferent things, but I dont know how to find them. Any help?
Please no rude comments... Thanks :)

Answer Question

Asked by BabyConnor7258 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I would tell you to go to your local Dept of Family Services and apply. If you are living by yourself, I am sure you would qualify. If you are living with your parents or others, they will take their income into consideration as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Get on wic for you and your child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Welfare. They will also start taking money out of the father's check to give you child support which you deserve and make sure you get.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Since you are on the computer, there are ways to make money online. For example there are always people who are looking for some sort of service online, and if you can provide it, you will be in the money. But as far as LOOKING for a job, there is nothing to it but to do it :)

    If you can sell on ebay, the biggest wholesaler is called SaleWhoo You can get anything at wholesale there, and put it on ebay. Just stick to a couple products that are doing well.

    And the best program for becoming an ebay power seller (making over $100k) a year, is called The Insider Secrets to Selling on eBay

    So there are some things to think about :)


    Answer by veronicaOC at 7:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • First of all, good for you for still finishing up school and boo on your baby daddy for being a child himself!
    secondly, it will depend if you are living alone or with your parents. their income will count most likely. if you do live at home, you can get WIC. this will give you free food and or formula up until your baby is five ( i think it's five anyway).
    if you're living alone, you can go for renters assistance, cash assistance, and health care for yourself (and your baby).
    there is no shame in asking for help when it is needed. you do what you need to do for your baby. and just a personal note- i would take his father to court for support. contact your local social services office. you could probably even ask your doctor for numbers of local offices!
    good luck and congrats on your baby!

    Answer by john2007 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • I agree with PP on school. I'm glad you're finishing. Kudos to that! Apply for welfare until you get on your feet. I know how hard things are in the job market. BUT make sure his dad is helping you pay for your child's needs. Its his child too and he needs to take the responsibility. Good luck!

    Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.