Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any help or assistance anywhere?

I am a single mom, my son is three and a half months old. Im also only 17 years old. My sons father walked out on me and his son when his son was two months old. I had a full time job until my boss made me stay home because I was so close to my due date. I finally was able to go back to work two and a half months later, but my work replaced me when I was gone, so now they can only let me work on weekends. I have applied at many places to get a second job, but Im not having any luck... I need another job or some way to make some more money. I am still attending high school and graduate next month. I was told that there are many places that can help me out with defferent things, but I dont know how to find them. Any help?
Please no rude comments... Thanks :)

Answer Question

Asked by BabyConnor7258 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • go to your health dep. or public assistance building or just call them and they can point you in the right direction. tell them this situation and even if it is until something else works out... oh by the way get him for child support that helps! what a jerk! that's the only thing I know of that might help.

    Answer by watersgirls at 5:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • You're still in High School? Go talk to your counselor. They are not only there for scheduling classes and college planning. School counselors are trained in the same way as a community counselors, they are there to help you deal with the big problems in life as well. I'll bet he or she has some good ideas!

    Answer by mom2alan at 5:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Did you take an FMLA approved maternity leave? If so, your job is protected for a certain amount of time. Unless your boss had you "quit" and "re-hire". I would check into that, because if you were on an actual leave, they're not supposed to cut your hours or have you come back to a different job. But as for a new job...there really isn't much out there hiring...I wish you luck though!

    Answer by srhmldndo at 6:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • I don't know what city and state you live in, but I know from personal experience, that you would def. qualify for Caresource or a similar med. plan for yourself and your son. You could also receive food stamps and w.i.c. if you're not already receiving them, until you get back on your feet. A friend of mine actually got her job, a good one, through her case worker. I'm sorry I don't know the name of that program. But if you call your public assistance building they will def. be able to help. Good luck.

    Answer by micrespo at 6:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.