Do you feel you should take all advise from MIL?

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't take ALL advice from anyone.. I pick and choose what I am gonna use.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Never, not anything I remember ever doing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Oh Hell no! My MIL is a nutcase. If she was such a terrific parent then her two kids wouldnt have grown up to be emotionally abusive controlling, violent assholes.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I feel that the opinions and advice of your MIL should always be respected, but that doesn't mean to follow everything she says, or suggests. I value the advice of my MIL, even though we have two very different parenting styles. Its always good to have variety in opinions, so you can have more options in your mind. but to follow all advice given, blindly? no. Every child is different, and you know your baby best. So if it sounds like good advice, take it. If not, say "thanks for your advice on this", and do what is best for your baby.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't think you should take all advice from anyone. Not ALL advice from ONE person.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I agree with Raine. You have to evaluate all advice given and see if it makes sense for you, no matter who it is from.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• No way! If I were to take my MILs advice I would have raised kids who weighed 200 pounds, never had new clothes (she thinks those are a waste of my husband's money - her words, not mine) and stayed in a school where you can graduate high school and still not be able to read. We would also be living in a shack and I would be hand washing my laundry on a wash board. My MIL may have age, but she does not have wisdom.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i have but i generally don't
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 6:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't take advice from my own mother so why would I take it from my MIL?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I do not have a MIL sadly, but I never take all advice from any one person. If I don't agree with a person then I simply nod and say thank you and go on about my business. All children and all families are different and what was thought to be good in their generation is different now. My mother had an issue with what I was doing with my kids and I finally got her to tell me it wasn't what I was doing, but the fact that it was so different from what she did and she took that as me saying I didn't agree with what she did. I explained to her that I was doing the best with the information available to me and what worked for my family and she did the same.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011