Is playing lottery a waste of money?

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• not if you win! :)
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Not any more so than buying a bottle of water, except that you actually have a chance of winning a huge amount of money.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Probably, because the chances of winning are so slim, but you can not win if you do not play!! In our state the moneys go to road repairs so I figure I am making a donation to that when I buy a ticket.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Yes, if you think you're going to win it back.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i always say, "if I win megabucks, I would..." but never play, so it doesn't do me a whole lotta good...I say if you have the extra money to spend, then go for it...someone's gotta win it right???
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If you can afford to play then you should do so. It's not a waste of time to all the average people who have won.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 7:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It's fun if it gives you hope to buy a ticket every so often, and lets you dream.

As soon as it's not just throwing money away on that, as soon as you miss the money, then I think it's a waste
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If you are thinking of it as an investment strategy, it is a waste of money. If it holds some entertainment value for a $1 here or there, it's not any more of a waste than getting a DVD at Redbox.

If you want to know what your chances of winning are, check out this link: http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/poker/lottery_simulator100.php
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 8:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• For me it is. I am a big loser. lol

cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• We spend maybe $1 a year on it and I think it's great for entertainment. My husband and I can talk for hours about what we'd do if...
    But then I do think that the people spending $50+ a month on it- yeah that's a waste.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2011