When you throw or go to a birthday party...

Do you ask the parents to stay? And/or do you stay with your kid(s)? for the whole thing?

Fantasystar

Asked by Fantasystar at 6:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I stayed or invited the parents to stay untl the kids were about 4 or so. After that it was totally up to the parents. What ever they wanted to do was fine with me.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• When my kids were younger I would stay with them but I never asked other parents to stay for the party. Most of the time if a parent stayed a younger sibling stayed too and that just made for even more work on my part.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I always stayed unless I was told I didnt have to until about 5 yrs old.Ialso would appreciate it the parent stayed at mine if their children were under5 as well. With everything I have to do as a hostI dont have time to watch others children properly at a young age...JMO
    stacy1124

Answer by stacy1124 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My oldest just turned 4 and we are planning to have a party for him. I normally account for the parents to stay because his friends are the kids of my friends. So normally, the party is for the kids having fun, but the adults normally have a good time, too.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• We have always stayed. In fact our oldest is 9 now and one of us will be staying at a party with him next week. We don't see a whole lot of his friends' parents, if we did see them around more often I may be more willing to drop him off. I don't mind if parents stay at ours, either way is fine with me.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• When he was younger I stayed, but only because they were all my friends too. Now i would just drop him off. IMO it puts the party giver in an awkward position if they are not friends with you, then they might feel obligated to take time away from the party to talk to you. Also i don't think that you should be bring younger siblings to the party unless they are all friends. I know that I have been in a position where my son's birthday was at a movie theater and I had to pay for each child and some parents brought the other kids and expected me to pay admission.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 7:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• This depends on the age and what type of party. My 6 year old son had his first invite the school party this year and 3 of the 18 kids in his class showed up and all the parents stayed. We went bowling and I specifically put that they were welcome to stay and bowl with the group if they paid for their games (I paid for the invited child). I also had several family members and close playgroup mommy/child friends and we all had a great time including the parents of the school kids. I would never expect a party thrower to pay for my other children if they were not specifically invited.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2011