SHOT.

Hey waht do u guys think of the shot to prevent from getting pregnant again? I have two kids already and want no more. would i get fat if i get it. is there any reactions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• From personal experience I do not recommend it. It gave me horrible horrible mood swings, and I bled for almost two months on it. It was not worth alienating everyone around me.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• what about having a tubal ligation? you wouldnt have to worry about any side effects. and you do it once and you dont have to worry about it again. with the Depo (the shot) you would have to get them every 6 months. and they arent that good for you.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• ive known people that have gained weight from it and people who havent gained any, and people who have bled long like ZaTa explaiend above and people who dont bleed at all. it depends on your body and how it handles the shot.

I plan on either getting on the IUD or the shot after i have my daughter in feb :)...(so excited for her to be here)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I will give you a nice.. short (I hope) lesson on Depo. It doesn't work for all people.. my sister got preg with her 2nd after missing her shot appt by only 2 days! Additionally the dosing isn't always effective.. I was on it for 6 months with too little dosing made me spot for 2 weeks, nothing for 2 weeks.. spot for 2 weeks, nothing for 2 weeks.. etc etc etc. They say if that happens you need a higher dose but nobody ever told me that. It causes weight gain pretty consistently, or at least from what I've seen with my friends who have used it for more than 6mos.
    My good friend finally went off her Depo about 6 months ago and got the Norplant. Effective for up to 5 years, inserted under the skin on the upper arm causes a sore arm for a few days but nothing too horrible, and weight gain is not a side effect. She LOVES it and says she would recommend it over the shot any day.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• oh.. I didn't read the whole post before answering.. if your certain you don't want any more kids there's also a procedure called Essure. It's similar to a tubal ligation but is done in your docs office and doesn't require major surgery. HTH!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2008