Have we taken religious freedom so far in this country (U.S.A) we can't even ask for a photo I.D. anymore?

Even for our own protection?

I know years and years years ago when I turned 21 I had dyed my hair and also lost a good deal of weight. I went drinking that night, my appearance was altered enough I was not allowed to have a drink. Should we just throw out I.D. because we might offend a religion? Or should privileges associated with an I.D. like drinking, smoking and driving should remain privileges and if you don't want to participate in the requirements you are not able to participate in the privilege.

Lets say a woman says uncovering her face is against her religion should she still be allowed a drivers license?  A man says he is part of a religion that does not allow for his picture to taken, should he be allowed a state I.D. without a picture and the privileges that come with it?

We are I.D. all the time for things from drug testing to driving; to the prevention of insurance fraud should these requirements only be demanded of those who are allowed? If we exempt a few because of religion or other reasons, is it equal treatment to all Americans and guest of this country?  Because we might offend a person  bases on religious freedom should be abolish photos I.D. and or allow the privileges to those who refuse? Now, taking away rights that is another issue, but I have never been asked for photo I.D. when I vote. *added*

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 7:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You put the finger print on the ID instead of the photo. You scan the card at the airport, checkout, whatever, then scan the thumb that should be attached to your hand. ~ NP

Unless the person dressed as a woman ISN'T a woman and is simply hiding behind that scarf. It's already been done without the fingerprint issue. It isn't a theory. It isn't about convenience. Either everyone follows the law or NO one should have to. Or ... are we not ALL equal?

I don't get it NP. You howl because there are people who consider gays as 'less than' or not deserving of the same rights as others ~ and I agree with you.

Rights and privileges granted by law have legal responsibilities. It's about the law, not about religion. One is for all. One is a choice. If it's wrong to use religion to deny people rights, it's wrong to use religion to escape responsibility. If you pick and choose, so can others.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• So NP, do you think we should all be fingerprinted to in order to buy alcohol, cigarettes, or get into a concert? That doesn't seem for efficient or cost effective to me.

I have no problem with people wearing whatever they want, but if they can't agree to a photo I.D. then I don't think they need to do the things the rest of us get carded for. There is a reason photo I.D.s are required for some things and the same rules should apply to everyone IMO. 

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 7:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• apparently, some would say that is fine and dandy.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I get carded...I don't buy alcohol or cigaretts but my ID gets asked for...not really sure what the question is asking..what does ID have to do with religion?? Im being honest, I haven't heard that one.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The scanning and matching of your I.D. is only done when you get a new license. It would not be cheap (or convenient) to implement the same system in every venue that requires I.D. I have to disagree, we would see prices go up.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 8:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Some might have that become a reality. I don't care. If you are getting a plane I want to see an I.D. and your face. In France they have banned the burqa, hijab, and all veils all in the name of safety.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 7:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I have a problem with getting finger printed. While we are at lets just get everyones DNA on file that way we have no freedom and the government can track us even better, They will know every time we have our fingerprint scanned, every movement we make. Maybe we can just get chips inserted under our wrists. That would make it easier for them right.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 8:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't want to have to be fingerprinted like a common criminal so that others can have the luxury of the benefits of a photo ID without any form of recognizable photo. What next, a cartoon sketch in place of the photo. If you can't get your photo taken in a manner that will allow you to be identified (which is your choice) you don't get the benefits of having that ID card. I think we have become politically correct to the point of loosing our common sense.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• NP it is not a theory. The government is monitoring their citizens. What do you think the purpose of the NSA is? My ID never gets scanned and I'm a world traveler. My passport is scanned. I accept that. And my fingerprint is not on my ID. My bank does not require a fingerprint. Finger prints are for people who do not have an account at my bank.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 8:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Here is the thing, all of those people you mentioned made a choice to be fingerprinted so they could take part in a "privilege" so to speak. If they didn't want to be fingerprinted then they couldn't get that gun, license, or job. Same as somebody not getting into a concert, because they didn't want to have their photo taken for an I.D. 

On top of that, the equipment necessary for scanning fingerprints isn't exactly cheap. The cost of the equipment itself and then upkeep would be built into what we have to pay for services. 

*Side note*- I am not the one that voted you down. While I don't agree, I do see where you are coming from and I have no need of the down vote button =)

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 8:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2011