What age do you think is OK?

to allow a child to have a room in the basement? We are on the main floor.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would say about 10, but it really depends on your kid. I know some 13 year olds I wouldn't allow to have a room on a different floor from the parents' room, but then again there are some 8 year olds I would. The most important thing is whether or not your child wants a room in the basement. When they want it, they are probably ready. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I personally wouldn't care at all with my kid because she never breaks a rule when it comes to her tv, computer, when to go to bed etc.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• 10?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think it depends on the child, but I would say 10 and up.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• probably at least at 13 but depents on the child, maybe even rather 15 some kids I see I would never allow it
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It would depend on the child and the need for it. My girls had rooms of their own so...I probably would have said " what's' the NEED for a room in the basement "?, to find out why they wanted it. I feel kids need their own space, but...I also believe in family unity..not one kid way down away from everything else becoming a hermit. That's just how we do things though.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Depends on the child.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• For me I guess it would depend on the maturity level of the child!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 12:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Is the problem because they are on a different floor? My kids had bedrooms on the first floor from birth while me and my husband were on the 2nd floor.
    Or is it because there is other stuff in the basement they can get into. I know the basement at my dad's was used mostly for storage and the only part that was finished was an "office". It was my bedroom as a teen. I wouldn't have put any of my kids down there because I know they wouldn't keep out of the storage area.
    I loved having the room in the basement. It was the quietest room with actual insulation in it and had a toilet (just a toilet). I have issues with noise sensitivity and get overloaded easily with the craziness of the house. Before I got that room I couldn't remember having a good night's sleep in years because my brother listened to music all night long (across the hall from me). I used to cry myself to sleep out of exhaustion because of he noise.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2011