How can I teach my daughter to be more gentle?

My daughter is only 8 months old so I know she isn't doing it on purpose but she is always kicking and punching me in the stomach. I didn't mind too much before, but I am pregnant and I am worried that something might happen to the baby. I need some advice on how to get her to stop doing it. Any suggestions?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 8:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I was nursing my baby, if he bit me I remained calm and removed him off the boob - he soon learned by association. Perhaps iwhen your daughter kicks you could put her to the floor or on the seat next to you until she marries the two together. My boy would have been about 6-months when the biting started.
    ItsHalfFull

Answer by ItsHalfFull at 8:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Next time she does it gently take her hand/foot and move it away from you and say "No, kicking/hitting. It hurts" and then maybe give her a ball and say "you can kick this instead" or distract her with toys. Be consistent (do it every time) and use a firm tone, and she will eventually get the message. You may want to praise her as well when she touches you nicely, or if you notice her hands/feet start to hit/kick but then she changes her mind and does not follow thru- praise her for not hitting/kicking. Good luck!!

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• use a firm voice tell her no it hurts
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 8:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• MizLee said it all. Learning by association. Great advice!
    I can understand why you want to stop her from doing this ...even without a another baby coming, it's just a good thing to put a stop to early.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011