Do you feel like you have to get away from your family?

I see a lot of moms on here complain about how they don't get to go out with the girls or spend time away from their husbands and children. Do you feel like you have to get away from your family or do you enjoy spending your time with them?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I hardly ever have time away from my son, but I don't mind. I love being with him all the time. Yea, it gets tiring sometimes, but I have a lot of fun being a SAHM. I get "my time" during his daily nap and once he goes to bed at night. My husband works a lot, so any time we have together is cherished.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think if I didn't work I'd feel like that for sure. But since I get to work during the school year and play softball once a week during the summer I don't feel like I need to get away - because I do get to do some things as an individual. I still have an identity separate just being a Mom. I love spending time as a family!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I enjoy spending time with my family...lots of time with them, in fact. But as a SAHM, sometimes I just really need a break from the "mom, mom, mom, mom, mom" and the "why, why, why, why, why." Thank God for girl's night lol.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• While I do enjoy my family, I need a break. I am tired of the constant noise. Also, I need a mental challenge. I want to go back to school. I miss having something important to talk to my DH about that doesn't include our kids or the Honey Do List.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I enjoy spending time with my family.

Sometimes, I enjoy spending time with each of my kids and my husband, separately. They seem to enjoy the family broken up like that sometimes, too. And sometimes each of the kids wants to be alone, too.

Admittedly, I would like to have some time with other people who I'm not responsible for, so I could relax and just be me, without having to set a good example or make sure everyone is happy and fed and doing what they need to do. But I'm a SAHM and don't know anyone here, so it really doesn't happen that I hang out with friends, alone. Like, maybe 3-5 hours a year? Plus church committee meetings. People laugh at me because I don't want to leave. It is so thrilling to be doing something different with people outside of the family!

I know I'd miss them if we were apart too much, and I love seeing htem after. But that's how humans work.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Sometimes I feel like my son should take a nap or something but I never want to get out of the house without him or my husband. I like having people over and going out with my family but I never go out with friends just by myself.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I need a break once and a while. Since my auto accident the only time I am away from at least one member of the family is when I am in the hospital for surgery. My husband is my caregiver so we are always together and it gets rough no matter how wonderful he is.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I love spending time with my son, boyfrI iend, and other family members, but sometimes it would be nice to get out. Even if I took my son, it would be nice to go somewhere for once... I don't have a car, so we don't get out much. :(
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I'm a stay at home mom due to my son's health problems ( he has ADD/ADHD/ODD they tried to test him for autism but he couldn't do the test). I don't get to get away from them very much because my husband works all the time but my mom slips up like once a month ( if not more) and tells me they ( both my kids) can stay with her while I go do my shopping. I cherish the time I have with my kids but when I'm with them all the time and I can only take so much of the melt downs that my son has before I start keeping migraines so that hour or so by myself helps and makes me fill better.
    christydlewis

Answer by christydlewis at 10:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think being married, having children, especially if they have issues, is far more challenging than we feel we can deal with. Then we blame ourselves for not having the right parenting skills, or the "forever patience" we should have. We all need help. At school, from experts, and we need to get away as a family, and as a married couple. Regular date times ar essential! We r NOT super heros, I have a child just diagnosed with ADD. Now I I can see all the pieces falling together but I have fear of what lies ahead. With much prayer we are pulling him from private school and going to public. Advice from NeuroPsych we are taking and then we do life one day at a time. I need a holiday so bad but I have a feeling I need a lot of holidays. I need to realise I have limitations, So does my husband. Does this help anyone?
    Anastas

Answer by Anastas at 12:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2011