Are we cruel?

So, we just got a dog and if you read my other ?, you know he's not doing too great right now. (literally today). Well, the haven lied to us, and the dog is not okay. While we don't really know what is wrong and the free vet visit is only for a physical, not anything extra, so we really don't want to front out that much extra $$ for a vet bill just after we got the dog. While there is NO problem with anyone and the dog here, and we are fond of him already (there is another dog, same breed different color and he is literally still a puppy while the one we adopted is 1 yr.) I feel mean by saying because the dog isn't healthy we are taking him back and exchanging him, but honestly we volunteered for the responsibility (thinking the dog was originally healthy and is obviously not), and while vet visits are a given, we were NOT thinking of taking him this close in the game... considering we haven't even had him for 4 hours yet.... I like the dog, my husband likes the dog and as far as i can tell the dog likes us.. it has NOTHING to do with the dog, it's stay haven that lied and gave us a dog that has something wrong and straight LIED about it when we purchased him, there is a 2 week trial period and we don't want to have a dog that is going to just up and die in a matter of weeks because they didn't check him over.. It's not fair to out daughter to watch that happen or my husband. Opinions on trading the dog.. would you? It's 171 bucks that we spent on a "healthy" dog that is not doing at all well right now..

On a different thought, it would be super nice if they would check the dog over and front that end of the bill because it was their screw up..

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Looking at some replies, if the puppy has parvo and it gets to the vet in time it can be saved. We had a puppy with parvo within a few hours of him acting sick he was at the vet. It took over 5 days of iv's and antibiotics, but he did make it. Before he could come home the vet had me bleach EVERYTHING that he had came into contact with and throw out the puppy's belongings (toys, bedding, the towel I had him wrapped in). I was told not to bring in a puppy for up to a year as the virus can live that long.

As far as taking the dog back, I would only do it for a refund and not accept another puppy/dog from them as it probably would also be infected. I would also notify the people running the place of the possible parvo outbreak in their kennel.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 7:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I read your other post and I would be very careful. If he has parvo, any dog you trade him for has a probability of catching it from your yard/house. I would take the dog back, request a refund or hold until the dog is checked over. You don't want to chance bringing a healthy puppy home and having it catch that terrible disease.

If it is parvo, he will die and it won't take long. I would return him if you can't afford the vet care on him.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If you are short on money, you should not take on the responsibility of a pet.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Honestly, I would take it to the vet and try to get it healthy. If it's uncurable, I would have it put to sleep. I wouldn't want the poor dog to suffer and I wouldn't want someone else to have the same problem. i do see where you are coming from though.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• What MrsLeftlane said!

If it is parvo, and you bring home another dog, you will still have a sick dog that needs immediate vet care. The fact that this place sent the dog out as healthy may or may not have been a lie. Parvo acts fast, so the dog may well have passed a physical before it went into an adoption cage and didn't show symptoms at that point.

If it IS parvo, the entire facility will need to be quarantined, disinfected, and depending on your state wait a certain number of days with all clean health passes before they can adopt out any animal ... including a replacement for the dog you brought home today.

The one thing that may help you right now is that parvo has a smell. A sickening smell comes from the animal's breath, feces, and vomit. I'd personally rather smell gangrene. If you aren't getting any serious odor, it is likely worms or a digestive upset (which just a new home can cause).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• How did they lie? How did they know that the dog had parvovirus? There is no way of telling until symptomatic show! It's your dog. Stop trying to blame everyone else. It happens. Instead, get the poor thing to a vet ASAP! It's suffering. Dogs can survive parvovirus if you hurry! I had two that were saved.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. It would be different if they would pay for the vet bill. You were told you were given a healthy dog. If you don't have the money to vet the ill one I don't see anything wrong with is.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I agree with bcause, you have only had the dog a few hours and it is already sick something is wrong call the person you got it from and see what your options are.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• no, you are not cruel. they were not honest with you when you bought the dog and they should be willing to reimburse you or trade it for another dog. they are supposed to tell you if there are any health problems. i hope it is not parvo....do you know what is wrong with it?

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It's not really that we can't afford the vet bill, that's NOT the problem.. I don't see a reason why we SHOULD considering we were told he was a HEALTHY dog. They are suppose to look over and make sure the dog is healthy and fine before they are taken home. We were told the ONLY thing that we should worry about is that he is a "strong" dog because he was found with a leash on.. thinking that he tore away, but I don't see how exactly he managed to be that strong or that fast considering we haven't had ONE problem with him and we've walked him several times today. The vet responsibility is a give-in, like I said, but this early in the game, for something serious (and not a routine check up) is a little ridiculous.
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011