Getting married and Section 8

Ok, I'm curious if getting married would ruin chances of being able to get a housing voucher? I receive SSI for being disabled, and even if my fiance had a great job, we still couldn't afford a house for our two kids and I. ...

Squeekerz

Asked by Squeekerz at 9:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• it may affect it because they will add his income into everything. Every state and area has different cut offs and they are very stricked about it.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• You will have to put his income on the paperwork for section 8 as soon as he is moving in with you. If you don't you are comitting fraud.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Ah. so... any idea how much a month would be the cut off? I can still get it even married??
    Squeekerz

Comment by Squeekerz (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• yes i have lived in section 8 and if he is living with you his income has to be verified.
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• its usually 40% of your monthly income but remember you got to be in the guide lines
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think you should be able to google the guidelines. It's probably something like you have to fall under 130% of the poverty level for your household size.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Hm. I just know that being disabled basically means I was automatically eligible. I just dunno what getting married would do. Haha.

thanks for all the answers! i'm trying to google it..
    Squeekerz

Comment by Squeekerz (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• They add his income to yours and if you are still under the limits then you will qualify.
    glam.fairy

Answer by glam.fairy at 1:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• marriage dont have anything to do with anything , only HOUSEHOLD INCOME DOES WHICH HAS TO BE PROVEN , AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK TO APPROVE THE PERSON
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2011