Pottty training the autistic child.

my son is 2 1/2 and ive been wanting to potty train him but everytime i put him on the potty he screams. like this morning he woke up with a dry diaper so i put him on and he screamed and sceamed til i took him off. we even have a peter potty (urinal for kids) and he refuses it. i know he is ready cause he cant stand being wet but he cant tell me he has to pee b/c he doesnt talk. does anyone have any good neat differnt ideals? i would love to hear them. god bless

angeleyz375

Asked by angeleyz375 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son has autism and it took about 3 yrs to get him fully (day) potty trained. He was VERY stubborn!!! One thing that worked with him was a picture chart, showing the different steps for using the potty. I put it on the bathroom door where he could see it. I also used a sticker and reward chart, each time he sat on or used the potty he got a sticker, and when he got X# stickers he could pick a prize out of the prize bucket. (it had little toys, stickers, candy, hot wheels..... assorted interesting junk for him to pick from).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• does he have sensory issues,is it the texture or color that "freaks " him out.? BTW no disrespect,my son has autistic tendencies from brain damage.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 3:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I borrowed this book from the library and found it had lots of info: Toilet training for individuals with autism or other developmental issues : a comprehensive guide for Parents & Teachers by: Wheeler, Maria. Kids who are deaf communicate through sign language. You could teach him to tell you he has to go with sign language. You're lucky he's uncomfortable being wet. DD isn't and regularly pees herself and stays in it. She's 14, is gifted and has Aspergers. I think your son will be trained before she is even though she was an early talker.

BTW, 2.5 is early to be trained. My twin sons are NT and trained at 3.6 and 4 years.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2011