Is it okay to borrow your kids grad money....please read before responding

we need propane...we need it for hot water/heat and the stove.....we are out and the kitchen smells bad and there's no hot water or money and the gas compnay will not deliver less then 250 gallons so that is $610 my only option is to ask my 18 yr for a loan.
I feel soooo.... guilty but she will be paid back
is it okay to ask for a loan when the loan is going to come from her graduation money fund?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I lent money to my mom to pay a bill after graduation and she paid me back the next month. I don't see a problem with it.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Yes, I think it is. You know you will be able to pay her back and she is living there using the propane like the rest of you. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If I were your daughter then I would hope you would ask me for a loan. Don't make her feel guilty or obligated and just make sure she knows you will pay her back. GL Mama!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it as long as she is all right with it and you are going to make sure she is paid back. I would probably add interest onto it though, but that is just me.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My mom did that once. I was 16 and saving my money from working to buy a newer car. Borrowed $850... And never paid it back. Then it caused a bunch of issues between us because when I asked for it back, she told me it was for rent.

If you KNOW you can pay it back, I say go ahead and ask. But if there is any doubt, I'd be hesitant.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• When I was a teen my parents had to occassionally borrow money from me for important household needs. They always paid it back with a little extra for interest. I always understood, it was important stuff and they weren't foolish with their money, we were just poor. Ask her and pay it back.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• As long as you can pay her back. Good luck! I've borrowed my children's money in tight spots, but I always make sure they get it back.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 9:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would do it just pay her back. It is not like you are asking her for $$ to go on a shopping spree for yourself.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Only if you can pay her back. Otherwise figure out how to secure your own loan through another source.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• As long as you're absolutely certain you can pay her back. Otherwise, I'd find another way to get the money.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2011