How do you make chicken fried steak?

Brandi300

Asked by Brandi300 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• well, you can get the cube steak already tenderized at the grocery store. then you season it w/ salt and pepper, dust it with flour, dip it in a beaten egg, then coat it in seasoned flour. then you fry it in your fat of choice (i use vegetable oil with some butter in it, but you can also use lard, crisco, etc.). it doesn't take long to cook....fry it on med-high until brown, then flip it over and then brown the other side. the meat is thin so it gets done inside.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Okay so chicken fried steak isn't chicken?? Lol I feel stupid! Haha
    Brandi300

Comment by Brandi300 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• it's steak fried like chicken. chicken fried chicken is simply called.......fried chicken :p
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Oh hehe Thanks! :D
    Brandi300

Comment by Brandi300 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Funny - just sat down after eating this for dinner. And no, it's not chicken. The name comes from the method of preparation - it's made like fried chicken.

I get cubed steak, season my flour with salt and pepper, then coat my pieces making sure the nooks and crannies get floured. Then I let it rest on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes - a tip I heard on Good Eats to help the breading stay on during cooking.

In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat til brown, then fry 2-3 minutes per side. It doesn't take long at all. If I have more meat than will fit into the skillet per batch, I put the cooked meat on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet in a preheated 200* oven.

Then just gravy from the pan drippings. Whisk in some flour, let it cook a minute, whisk in some chicken broth, continuing to whisk, add in some milk, continuing to whisk. Season to taste and let thicken til desired consistency.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Sounds yummy! My husband is a "southern boy" so I'm trying to learn how to cook some things he says he loves :)
    Brandi300

Comment by Brandi300 (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• oh man that sounds good. I am so stealing these recipes.
    glam.fairy

Answer by glam.fairy at 11:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2011