Help with compost pile

I am not a very experienced gardener and I want to start a compost pile or bin but I live in a humid climate. Does anyone know how to start one in a more humid climate?

clumm

Asked by clumm at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I used a lot of brown matter. Example: old leaves I added whatever I vegetation to the pile and stirred it up or rotated it (if it is in a composter).
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Check out youtube. They have a video for practically any gardening tip that you can imagine! Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thanks ladies.
    clumm

Comment by clumm (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Actually compost needs to be moist to cook so it should not be a problem. I have had one for years and it gets pretty humid here. Just have a combination of green and brown (older)including small sticks-helps to aerate things and no meat or bones-eggshells are fine though, and NO WEEDS. I made the mistake in the begiinning of throwing weeds in and then it there are any seeds in the weeds and you spread the compost you end up spreading the weeds. It makes the BEST fertilizer!
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• The more humid the better. Warm moist climates mean that compost can actually be a pile and don't have to be in a bin. No meat products. Coffee grounds and egg shells are great. Veggie skins, leaves, grass clippings. Remember that if you do put in weeds - make sure they have no seed heads and then you don't have the seed issues. You also need to "toss" the compost about every 6 months.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2011