MY 18 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER IS TEETHING...AND IS RUNNING A FEVER I GAVE HER TYLENOL ABOUT A HALF HOUR AGO BUT SHE IS STILL WARM....WONDERING IF I SHOULD RUSH TO THE ER. SHE ISNT CRYING IN PAIN AND DID EAT AND DRANK LOTS OF FLUIDS.

Lillybeth79

Asked by Lillybeth79 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• so why would you rush her to the ER?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• how much is her fever? it's not even considered a fever unless it's over 102. and you need to give the tylenol time to work.....you give it every 4 hours. don't take her to the er unless her fever is dangerous....like 105. they won't do anything for her and she will be around all those germs/sick people for nothing.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• You could always try a cool bath. Don't make it cold, just a little cooler than you normally make the water.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• 101 WAS THE LAST TIME I CHECK HER FEVER. I KEEP FEELING HER FOREHEAD EVERY 5 MINUTES FOR THE PAST HALF HOUR BUT FOR SOME REASON IT SEEMS IT AINT GOING DOWN.
    Lillybeth79

Comment by Lillybeth79 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• that is a low grade fever....very common during teething. don't worry. the tylenol will bring it down. 4 hours from the first dose give her a second dose and then it will most likely be gone. you don't even have to give tylenol since you said she is not crying, etc. they usually get a low grade fever when they're teething.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• THANKS LADIES! SHE JUST WOKE UP AND I CHECKED IT AGAIN ITS AT 101.4. ALL I CAN DO NOW IS HOLD HER SINCE SHE IS A LITTLE FUSSY RIGHT NOW.
    Lillybeth79

Comment by Lillybeth79 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My son is 14 months old. He had a fever all last week. I was also worried just like you are. You dont need to go to the er unless it gets up to 104, some doctors might even send you home. They dont worry unless its higher than 101 for 72 hours. My son had a temp of 102.8 for 3 days so we wnt to the doc. If she is eating and drinking ok then there isnt anything you can do except give her some tylenol to keep her comfortable, or give her a lukewarm bath. If she has trouble drinking then take her in right away. Try not to worry, if she still has a fever tomorrow then call the pedi right away monday morning.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• that a deep breath she is fine! just offer lots of fluids and rest! if its not gone by morning then u can b worried!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Fevers are not a bad thing. She'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Kids always run a fever when they teethe. Doctors will say "no" but moms will say "yes". If she isn't fussy or acting sick, it isn't anything to be concerned about, unless the fever creeps up to 102 and won't come down with tylenol. It is also fairly common for teething children to have a clear, runny nose, and get a diaper rash.

To comfort the teething child, you can put some toys in the freezer for them to gnaw on. Offer them teething biscuits in their high chair. They make a big mess, but it's a good sensory learning experience for them. Supervise, because eventually they'll nibble off a chunk and could possible choke on it.

This too, shall pass.

LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2011