Anyone ever have a child with ITP (low platelets) how long and what did you do to keep your child active without being over active??

My son just got diagnosed with ITP (low platelets) and I need some advice, encouragement on how to navigate this path.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My kids both have von willebrands and subsequent low platelets and low factor 8 from VWD my DH has ITP (although I think he has VWB just not correctly diagnoses ideopathic simply means they haven't figured out whats causing your issue)

although I limit hard contact sports like football and la Cross--- I DO NOT LIMT MOST STUFF they both plat soccer they both swim they both play teeball they are in gymnastics they go to camp they jump off swing sets they run and play and have fun... I will not let this stop them from living a fun life they also hike fish
    I've had MANY bloody noses and one broken hand-- all in all not bad at all they are 4 and 6 as they get around 10 I may have totake them our of soccer and switch to soft ball?? maybe??

ITP is only as limiting as YOU make it
    and BTW my dh did for many years play rugby...he's ok
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thanks for posting. I think I may be a little overprotective but his was critical. 2000 now 21,000 till we find out more on Tuesday. How low were your children/ what range do they stay in? Did the doctors say it was OK for you to let them be active? They said keep it low key for now till we know more. How did you handle the news at first??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2011