My 7 yr old told me no

He started throwing a fit because his sister had something he wanted. I told him that she had it first and temper tantrums were not acceptable and that he needed to go stand in the corner.... he turned and looked at me and said NO.....

I became so anger that the only words I could get out were "corner NOW" Then I had to go put myself in a time out to calm down. I have never been talked back to before, and I don't know if I should just drop it, or if he needs an additional punishment. The time out was for the temper tantrum, should I add an additional punishment for talking back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would give him the time out and then send him up to his room to lay on his bed until he can remember how to be respectful. he can come down whenever he feels ready. i don't put up with disrespect.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• He's 7 and he has never said no before? Wow lucky you.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Kids are willing to try new things to test boundaries... I think the first time it happens, you deal with it. You did and stood firm. If it happens again, then you have to upgrade and deal with it differently. Hopefully he tested that and realized it got him no where. lol
    Good luck!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Saying NO starts so young.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• you did fine. but talk to him about how it was not okay. if it happens again additional punishments are needed.
    tasha94952

Answer by tasha94952 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Okay, thanks ladies. Of course when they were toddlers they would say no, but that was in my opinion a learning stage of "NO" since then we haven't had any issues with them talking back. But I'll talk to him and make him understand that if it every happens again that there will be very sever consequences. Course I'll have to talk to dad about it when he gets home. He will be expected to tell his father when he gets home what happened.

I think what pissed me off the most, was he didn't say it as part of his temper tantrum, he just looked at me and in a matter of fact way said "no" almost as casually as if I had asked him if he wanted mayo on his sandwich.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• For the rest of the day he'd have no tv, no sweets, and I may add writing sentences to his punishment to. You did good about insisting to go to the corner and calming yourself. But testing boundaries for me results in extra punishment.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think you did fine. Once both of you are calm, you can sit down and talk to him about respect and what behaviors are acceptable and which aren't. Discuss what the consequences will be also. He is old enough to understand. You are very lucky that he hasn't said no to you before this. Wait until he's a teenager.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2011