Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Disbility benifets for autistic child.

i am so frustrated with the system. i applied for disability for my son and he got turned down and i went through an apeeal and i lost that cause the judge sent me paperwork and it gave reasons for denial and one was that my son could stack four blocks so great but what about the fact the he is 2 1/2 and says 5 words or the fact that his anxiety is so bad he holds his breathe and turns purple or the fact that i ordered a life insurace policy and got turned down because his mecial problems are to bad. so im on my second is it my son cant get it but half the rest of the world can

Answer Question

Asked by angeleyz375 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 12 (708 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I have been there. Getting services is a pain in the ass! i would suggest going to a mental health center and getting him on a waiver. my son was on SSI until we made too much money. He's 9 now. Get documentation from doctors and who ever else works with him for the appeal. Document everything. good luck. You can pm me if you like.

    Answer by kansasmom1978 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • keep seeing docs and getting referrals. get like 30 if you have to!

    Answer by tasha94952 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • Since you are on your second appeal, if you haven't already, get a lawyer. The key to getting childhood disability is that you have to show how your son is different from children his own age, since they can't judge him on his ability to work. So you need documentation from psychological evaluations, physical therapy, speech therapists, medical records, etc., whatever you have. What about daycare? If he has been to daycare, have his provider write a letter and send it in.

    But a lawyer who specializes in disability could be a real help to you at this point.

    Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • The PP poster is right. You are going to need as much as medical information you can get. A Neurologist, or a Developmental Pediatrician can provide relevant information about your child's condition. For an appeal it is imperative to have a legal representative on your side. Your lawyer also might be able to get you a retroactive if you qualify.
    SSI is primary based on the family's income. So even if you truly need the benefits but you make too much income your case will be rejected.

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • You need a lawyer. I don't know what state you're in, but where I am, it's not a cakewalk for anyone to get disability - it's not just your son. Here they automatically deny your first request as policy. If you're lucky, you get it on the first appeal. Nobody gets it sooner. The best you can hope for is your condition is severe enough they'll fast track your appeal (like terminal cancer or something else where time is an issue). Otherwise, it takes at least a year.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 11:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

  • I agree with all the pp... GET documentation, find out what you need from other people who have kids who are authistic and get it... Keep trying sometimes the deny just so they can see if you really want it. eventually they won't plus there is always your congressmen write him or her too!

    Answer by o0luvlissa0o at 12:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • You need an attorney or a disability rights advocate for your LO.

    Answer by tasches at 12:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • It isn't a cake walk for any state. Like NP said, you have to get a lawyer And like the other poster said, it depends on your family. income..

    Answer by Carpy at 1:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • I don't know what state you're in, but where I am, it's not a cakewalk for anyone to get disability

    The only people it is a cake walk for is ones who mess themselves up with drugs. I know someone who is nearly wheelchair bound and on their third appeal and know three people who got it lickity split from messing their minds up with meth. Pisses me off and it happens all the time. I know of many situations like that. But those cases I know personally.

    Answer by Carpy at 1:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • In my state, you need documentation from a mental health professional that lists the 4 axis of diagnosis from the DSM-IV. They would not accept DD's pediatrician's word becasue he is a medical doctor and not a mental health doctor. Contact a locat support group and see what proof of disability others provided. Sometimes, this is a county by county thing.

    Answer by JSD24 at 7:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.