I just snapped at my son. and smacked his wrist with a tooth brush:(

and all i did was making existing problem worse.. My son was throwing the hugest temper tantrum over brushing his teeth.. I gave him 2 warning. and told him we would do a puzzle if he just would work with me.. Well he just fought me the whole way.. and I snapped and smacked his wrist with the tooth brush.. Not my best moment as a mom and I FEEL LIKE SHIT!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. It's not going to scar him for life, he probably won't remember after a bit.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Don't kick yourself in the ass over it, just try to remember how it made you feel and the next time you find yourself in this situation with your child just try to handle it differently.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• No Worries Momma.. we all have had " Not the Best Mom Moment " at some time- i'm sure your Little Man will get over it in a few!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Don't beat yourself up about it. I've done worse and not felt proud or happy about it. We've all had our moments, whether we admit it or not. Is there a compromise you can do? My 3yo son is trying so hard to be independent with everything from brushing to getting dressed and everything in between. So now I let him brush in the morning but I have to brush his teeth at night.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Thank you ladies.. I was wrong next time I wont brush his teeth til Im ready to be patient.. Thank you
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It's hard. Sometimes my hubby loses it when brushing our kids' teeth before bedtime. It's the end of the day and you are frazzled. Maybe switch off with hubby or else have your son brush his teeth himself and then call you for a check before bed. Good luck Mama. We've all been there.

Your patience at that moment is a direct reflection of how hard the day has been.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 11:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I find those "I lost it" moments can be my best teachers. They remind me that ...if "I", the ALMIGHTY MOTHER of a small child can loose my patience, throw a fit and impulsively lash out physically...HOW can I expect a 3 year old child (in my case) to do better???
    We just take a deep breath and be the best model we can be that day.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Again thank you ladies.. Im not even a spanker.. BUt I HAVE smacked his wrist before.. I need to just know that this is a stressful time of day and Put on my patience.. I did kiss his wrist and say I WAS sorry.. he gave me a big hug.. :) thankfully he still loves me .. he is 3
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• You just made me feel normal.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 3:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Tooth time and hair washing are the worst!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2011