Why is this offensive?

A special education teacher who provides instruction at her students homes gives to her students t-shirts and hats with the logo of one of the organizations which help children with disabilities. She is made aware that two of the fathers of her students have found these gifts very offensive. Does anyone have any idea why would the parents find it offensive to give t-shirts and hats to their children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• As a parent I don't want my children labeled, it takes attention away from who they are. My kids don't wear Army brat or mexican flag shirts because it's not other people's business. I wouldn't be offended by the items but would probably toss them after she left.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 12:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• just a wild guess here. But if the kids have more hidden disabilities (mental) the parent may not want that label being put on their child. Its like a shout out to the world (for them) that something is wrong with their child...
    Some may get offended as a way of "you dont think i can dress my child/ have the money to cloth my child" type attitude.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• What's the logo say?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I have no idea. I don't see anything offensive.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Some people just have sticks up their asses poking the stupid part of their brains making it overactive.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• For many people, but often especially fathers, it is hard to accept that they have a child who is atypically developing, so having something like a t-shirt or hat for the child to wear that proclaims an association with an organization that serves children with special needs might just be too painful of a reminder. When you wear something with an organizations informaton on it, people may ask questions about it & maybe those parents don't want that kind of attention. Most parents of children with special needs want their children accepted for who they are, not for what may be different about them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• The logo on front of T-shirt is the name of the organization. On the back the names of all the companies who give money to the organization.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Could be because the parents don't support that organization? The parents see it as a way to get money?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The hats have also the name of the organization printed on them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• could it be the parents are ashamed that their kid isn't 100% independent of these organizations help?
    why did they say they were offensive? i'm sure no one admitted to being ashamed their child had a disability.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2011