Would you think it's rude?

To choose a movie/show to watch knowing the other person/people in the room do not like those kinds of movies/shows? Or should the person/people that don't like it just leave?

The computer is right next to the TV in our living room. All day my husband has chose to watch movies that upset me. Earlier it was some very graphic western where they were burning kids alive, raping woman, people being shot, stabbed, drowned, etc. I was getting sick to my stomach but his opinion was I should leave if I don't like it (even though I had been watching something but paused it because the kids came in and I couldn't hear then he decided he wanted to watch and just canceled the show I was watching).

Now he's turned on Resident Evil. He KNOWS I hate zombie movies. They freak me out and give me nightmares. But he doesn't care. He never considers anyone but himself when he chooses what to watch on TV. I never get to choose what to watch if he's in the room and he'd never even consider picking something he knew I would like even if there's nothing on he really wants to watch.

Now I either sit here and be forced to listen to it (the TV is 2 feet from my chair and is so loud it's giving me a headache) or I have to go to another room. The other TV is being used by the kids who are watching a movie. The only other room to go to is my bedroom which has no TV, computer, internet or anything to do. It's just a room with a bed. And a baby sleeping so I have to be quiet while in there so I don't wake him.

He doesn't see any of this as rude. His opinion has always been he doesn't have to change how he does things since he doesn't have a problem with them. I'm the one with the problem so I should just get over the problem or change to accommodate him.

And there are things I need to do on the computer.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• Been there in exactly same situation-he is extremely selfish,childish,rude and knows but doesn't care that this affects and pisses you off. I am now happily single not under a control freak who enjoys watching suffering all around him and I can breathe and wath what I would like-all the best to you-my ex is a collossal jerk,anyways good luck-you r not alone-hugz
    Gemini5

Answer by Gemini5 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• WOW.. i am sorry that your husband treats you like this- it is More than Rude; this is the up-most Disrespect- you deserve to be treated so much better than this..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'm with the other ladies. It is down right disrespectful.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Girl get you your very own IPad...end of story.
    You can watch movies, read books, etc... Well just about everything. I have an IPad2 the only difference is Zi can take pictures & video tape...I love it my dh has one too we both use earbuds so we won't interrupt one another. I strongly recommend it. Check it out you won't regret it. Oh and believe me my dh is the same way he's hooked up the sound in our home like a movie theatre. When I'm in the mood for a movie ok fine but when I am not the loudness gets very annoying so I know where you coming from GL and I hope you get an IPad or IPad2 soon...
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• "He doesn't see any of this as rude. His opinion has always been he doesn't have to change how he does things since he doesn't have a problem with them. I'm the one with the problem so I should just get over the problem or change to accommodate him."

Wow. If this were his world and he ran it maybe... but it's not. You have a right not to be subjected to stuff like that. I don't know why guys think like this. He needs to learn to compromise. Maybe move the TV into another room or move the computer or get a second TV somewhere else. Or get headphones for the TV so he can watch without you hearing it. Or maybe he can watch DVDs on a laptop. He should want to be considerate of how you feel though. You are his wife and it should matter to him. Find a compromise if you can and pick your battles. There could be worse things over which you may disagree.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• yes, it is rude......my DH would do the same...I hate the movie Goodfellas, it's his fav....one of them anyway---I would just go take a hot bubble bath and read a book---Im sorry hun!
    oregonduck

Answer by oregonduck at 1:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• This is Beyond rude. Maybe you could go watch a movie with your kids.
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Got the same problem and i stay in back with pc when hes watching gory movies i hate,so now i get that throwed
    up to me!
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Why am I not surprised. Joey is actually very considerate of me when it comes to the TV, we both are. If we are not watching anything special we let the other person have the TV. We have no problem going into a different room to watch something. He also does not watch things we deem inappropriate for the girls while they are around. He also will put a reminder on for shows he knows I like or movie he knows I like.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• he is being rude,
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2011