• In the Spotlight:

what do i do

my son is 18 months and lately he has started banging his head on things when he is angery... what do i do...

sexymommy87

Asked by sexymommy87 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did this for the longest time. I asked our doctor about it and she said it was perfectly normal. They can't verbally express their emotions and this is the only way they know how to do it. Just make sure he does it on a carpet or put something soft under his head while he is banging it.

It's not for attention it's the only way at this age he is capable of expressing frustration and anger.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• He might be trying to get your attention by doing something that upsets you. downplay it as much as you can to get him to stop. Just a thought, I am no expert.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 6:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• This is gonna sound horrible, but let it ride (unless he's actually hurting himself). My son does it quite often in fits of baby rage and that's all it is is temper tantrum to the extreme.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Children don't get worked up like this without a reason.

Are you spending enough time with him? True one on one time, and keeping him busy.. Tantrums are perfectly normal, but if he's getting that worked up, you should be finding out the root cause. Why does he need your attention so badly? And why does he think that hurting himself is the only way to get it?
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• from all that I've read - its his form of a tantrum - Some kids do it and some kids find other ways to throw them - IDK.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Both of my boys went through a phase with that. I would simply move them to the middle of the living room floor, so they couldn't hit their head on anything and get hurt, then I would walk away. It didn't last long at all! Once they realized it wasn't doing any good, they would quit.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2008