What do you do about a picky eater?

I have to children who are picky eaters. I hate having to cook things for them and thing for me and their younger brother. Will it kill them to miss a meal if they don't want to eat what I am preparing until they learn that what I am cooking is what is for dinner not what they want?

o0luvlissa0o

Asked by o0luvlissa0o at 12:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I had three picky eaters. If we ate out I had to go to three different drive thrus but at home I found stuff they liked as a team (pizza, spaghetti, chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs). You didn't mention their ages but see if they can talk about it and figure something out that works for the majority

Answer by admckenzie at 12:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thank you are 4,3, and 1... the 4 and 3 year old eat the same things but me and my 1 year old like healthier prepared meals.. I want them to start eating those foods too but I can't get them too!
    o0luvlissa0o

Comment by o0luvlissa0o (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• my 5 year old is soooo picky!! I am a firm believer of this is what i cooked and if you dont like it i guess you will eat when you are hungry..I started just putting healthy snacks in the fridge at her reach and and let her pick that way...this way i also knew how much she was eating..
    mikailas_mom

Answer by mikailas_mom at 1:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Mine are picky eaters (they also have sensory issues to food/textures as well). My older 2 boys are 14 and 12 and they are given the choice of eating what hubs or I fix for supper, OR if they don't like it they can fix their own food (can of soup, peanut butter sandwich, fruit, granola bar, yogurt....). My youngest is 5 and I give him 3 choices- what was fixed or X, Y (2 foods that we have on hand that he eats- like hot dog, mac & cheese cup, cottage cheese, yogurt, soup...). I also mix up either ovaltine or carnation instant breakfast and offer that to the youngest as "chocolate milk" that way he is still getting some vitamins/minerals at mealtime.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Another thing-- sometimes I "hide" foods -- like mix some stage 1 baby food carrots, squash, potatoes into the mac & cheese, add the carrots to spaghetti sauce, I used to mix apple sauce into the kids oatmeal or cream of wheat (they loved it like that!). I think Jerry Seinfeld's wife had a cook book out that had many recipes with "hidden" foods. I have not tried it, so I don't know the name.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• IMO kids should not miss meals,maybe introduce slowly
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 4:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• What I have done is say like at dinner I give them one thing I know they like and 2 that they don't and tell them they need to atleast eat one of the items they don't like (most of the time with mine) they just don't like the way it looks or smells so they don't even want to try it, but it seems to be working cause now that they are trying the foods Ithey Thought they didn't like ,they are seeing they like them more than they 1st thought.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• just keep offering a variety of things to eat; my sons are both picky eaters but we offer them different and they have to at least try it before saying they don't like it.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I do NOT believe in making kids skip meals because they are "picky" or don't like something. Do you eat what you don't like? Make 1 thing at every meal that they do like, then they have to take 2 bites of everything else. Or if they don't like what you made, they can have a pb&j sandwich or cereal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Well honestly yes if I am somewhere and I don't like what is being served I do wait until my next meal.. I understand where you are coming from though thats why I want advice... My kids perfer cereal and pb&j over the foods they should be eating and I don't like that when I was a child I didn't get an option so I at whatever was served.. I can't even get them to try it!
    o0luvlissa0o

Comment by o0luvlissa0o (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2011