How do you care for an uncircumcised penis?

I am a single mother now, my boys father insisted his boys not be cut like him! Well they are 4,3, and 1 the babies is fine for now but my 3 year old for skin looks like its starting to fuse the head and the 4 year old wont even pull his back and I know they are at the age where they should be pulling it back to pee and clean it!

o0luvlissa0o

Asked by o0luvlissa0o at 12:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• no, they do not need to pull it back to pee, and you don't need to retract it to clean until after puberty. Do not retract it forcibly. leave it be. My 7 yr olds retracts but he still does not need to retract it to pee or to wash (I consulted a urologist on that one). The uncircumcised penis produces a mucus called smegma. Its virtually the same thing as cervical mucus and cleans the head of the penis on its own. Would you douche a little girl? Nope, in fact woman should even do that. Same thing with the uncircumcised penis.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• you pull the foreskin up and wash the penis rinse it well then pull it back
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It's not always fully retractable til they're 5 or so. I wouldn't push it. When mine were younger and not fully retractable, I would kind of ease it back just a little and flush with warm soapy water. We never had any problems. If you're in need of more help, I suggest you talk to your doctor - this coming from a mom who's been doing penis care since my oldest was 3. You have to teach them how to pull the skin back or they really just don't know how. If it causes any sort of pain, STOP.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2011