Can I ask Jehovah's Witnesses a question?

I know you dont believe Jesus is God. You believe He is lesser than God right? I would like to know what you think of John 1:1 & 14. They state "In the begging was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word WAS God." and "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only God." And Jesus was called "Immanuel" which is translated into "God with us". Just curious.

kscwrcsmom

Asked by kscwrcsmom at 6:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• They use a different "translation" than we do.Their "bible" says that "in the beginning the Word was A God"

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'm thrown by John 8:58 in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures:

Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to YOU, Before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”

In the KJV it reads:

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• The phrase renderings agree with the grammatical construction of John 1:1 in the Greek language. Here is a list of other bibles that have also rendered it:

1935: “and the Word was divine.” The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed, Chicago.

1935: “the Logos was divine.” A New Translation of the Bible, by James Moffatt, New York.

1975: “and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word.” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz, Göttingen, Germany.

1978: “and godlike sort was the Logos.” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin.

1979: “and a god was the Logos.” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Jurgen Becker, Würzburg, Germany.

So you see, Lexylex, it's not just the JW's who have it in their "bible", as you put it.

Anonymous

• Jesus himself says, "The Father is greater than I am..." John 14:28

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only God." - This account shows how Jesus perfectly reflected his Father's glory here on earth. In that sense, God was with us.

How can the Word be WITH God and BE God at the same time? Doesn't the scripture you quoted from the KJV show that the Word and God are two seperate entities?
    Anonymous

• What's the difference between the scriptures John 8:58?

That a historical present in the Greek in the midst of a context of the past tense is properly rendered in English as a past tense is recognized by the best of modern Bible translators. Dr. James Moffatt was on the Revised Standard Version Bible Committee, and note how he translates John 8:58 in his own version: “‘Truly, truly I tell you,’ said Jesus, ‘I have existed before Abraham was born.’”

Professor E. J. Goodspeed was a member of the American Standard Bible Committee, and his translation renders John 8:58 as follows: “Jesus said to them, ‘I tell you, I existed before Abraham was born!’”

Anonymous

• Note other translations:

Chas. Williams’ The New Testament: “Then Jesus said to them, ‘I most solemnly say to you, I existed before Abraham was born.’”

A. S. Lewis’ “The Four Gospels” According to the Sinaitic Palimpsest: “He said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I have been.”

The Twentieth Century New Testament: “‘Believe me,’ Jesus replied, ‘before Abraham was born I was already what I am.’”
    Anonymous

• In Response to: Answered at 5:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 by: Lexylex I'm thrown by John 8:58 in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures: Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to YOU, Before Abraham came into existence, I have been.” In the KJV it reads: Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

GOD IS "I AM"

(Read Exodus 3: 14-15) vs. 14) God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE TO SAY TO THE ISRAELITES: "I AM HAS SENT ME TO YOU.'"

naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 8:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Jesus is God in the flesh.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 8:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• The NWT is retranslated every 5 years (I think) because there are newer undersandings of the ancient langages. The JWs believe, and most would agree, that the difference of a word could make a world of difference in what something means. If a word is translated, even in to a different tense, it can change the entire meaning of a statement. I think this is an example of that. While most people are willing to use a version that hasn't been updated is 75 years the JWs strive to be as completely correct in all they do. This also intails retranslating the bible to make sure it is acurate... Think about the most basic of sentinces - Even something as basic as He HAS run or He WILL run is a completely different meaning to it... So why not be acurate!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• interesting way to think of it. i like that. are youa JW sabrina?
    Anonymous